Will this bike work?

Discussion in 'Spare Parts, Tools & Product Developement' started by corim123, Dec 2, 2008.

1. corim123

corim123 New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2009

2. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

It looks like it will work fine. The only issue you will have is the front mount. Those oversized tubes can be a pain.

3. biken stins

biken stins Member

I'm having some troule with gasbike. They got my $$, but havn't sent order. No e mail response. Might be better to go with one of the sponsers here. Ckeck out vendors section. Good luck. Welcome to the site .

4. corim123

corim123 New Member

I emailed them a few times, and have gotten responses immediately. Where is the nest cheapest place then? I am looking to spend about $150 total with shipping. Gasbike can get it to me for $141, they said they would hold one from Cyber Monday at that price for me.
    EDIT:
    So I'm thinking about powerking, then I can get it for about $125 shipped or less and they have good reviews. Also, what do you mean about the front mount? Sorry to be a total noob but if you could explain a little more about what you mean that would be great.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  5. corim123

corim123 New Member

6. biketec

biketec Member

All I will say is there is a difference in engines and you get what you pay for in quality and customer support, and as far as the 80cc to 49cc the 49's run circles around em.

7. corim123

corim123 New Member

So a 49cc is BETTER than an 80cc? Because many seem to order 80s over 49s and 80s cost $15 more or so... I think I'll go with the original bike.

8. biketec

biketec Member

well I have both a 49 and a PK 80. 80s first off aren't 80s second there built for more torque not speed its not going to be like a 80cc dirt bike pullin wheelies. I think its a common misconception that an 80 is going to be better I say to each there own but like I said I have both, Equally fun personal opinion buy both see what you like, shoot a 32cc tanaka smokes an 80cc!

9. corim123

corim123 New Member

Well I am probably going to go at 30mph MAX and not be riding it too far away so idk which one to get but $125 buys an 80cc from powerkingshop which doesn't seem too bad to me.

10. biketec

biketec Member

is this your first build?

11. corim123

corim123 New Member

Yes it is.

12. biketec

biketec Member

well I'm not supposed to sell you my stuff on here but I would advise more research other than price.PM if you want some help

13. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Go with your original bike idea & research here how to securely mount the engine.If your not towing anything get the 49cc;bigger isn't always better.

14. rafgram

rafgram New Member

Which 40cc kit and engine did you say will do circles around the 80's....I just built an 80cc and I have to say its very sluggish and slow from what I expected. I have 3 Goped scooters with a 42 cc engine from Zenoah and those are hitting 35 mpg and acceleration is awesome.

So, when I saw an 80cc, I thougth wow, I can't wait, but the truth is the motor is slow....so what other motor did you say can do circles around the 80cc?

15. corim123

corim123 New Member

What speeds are you getting on your 80cc? I was hoping for 35-40 mph with my bike...

16. biketec

biketec Member

I have my starfire 49cc and smokes my pk 80 all tho my 80 is nice on hills I can get 30-35 on my 49cc but I run a 48T on her and my pk 80 runs a 44T if you were to run a 44 or a 36 on my 49 it would easily go 40+ but hills wouldn't be much fun not that its a problem but it does bog a bit not to mention I'm a big fella 220+ on an old steel bike :whistling:..But I love and ride daily my stage 2 grubee 4stroke my 2's are just for beer runs or playing don't really ridem much since I got that beast dialed in.But that's a whole other story.

17. corim123

corim123 New Member

18. biketec

biketec Member

Looks like the bike would work size wise but I think the only draw back is it looks like a coaster brake.

19. rafgram

rafgram New Member

So, everyone agrees that coaster brakes are not desired for these kits right? I actually replaced the back rim on a cruiser with a free wheel sprocket and mounted hand brakes instead......so, even if you do get a cruiser, just change out the rear rim and go freewheel.....

20. The 80cc is only 70cc. I am impressed with my Gru Bee. It starts and runs well although the straight-cut reduction gears are noisy. I have greased them and put corrugated cardboard in to deaden the racket but still sounds like ****. My next move is to see if it will hold Hypoid oil and not ruin the clutch. The mounting problem you will face is the half-circles that straddle the frame are intended for 1 to 1.17" frames. I hada a heck of a time fitting mine to a Schwinn cruiser frame. The rear Komet brake was larger than the sprocket hole so I used a 12" metal lathe to enlarge it. In my case, with the curved downtube, I had to mill a 1/2" aluminum block to space the rear clamp. I still ended up with an engine that that sat too low for a regular sprocket and had to go to a small girl's sprocket. This was ok for starting power, but wouldn't want to peddle home. The crank was too narrow so had to fit the crank out of a Huffy Cranbrook to clear the cases. The fuel screen in the tank is too restrictive and if not careful you could fry the engine with a lean wide-open run. It needs an inline filter and the screen removed from the valve. Try to find a decent kill button or toggle. be sure to blip the throttle on coast to oil the piston etc. I intend to have mine cryo treated for longer life. KW