wind resistant front shield

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by crabdance, Jun 7, 2008.

1. crabdance

crabdance Member

Has anyone ever tried to build a wind resistant front shield for a bike to make it more wind friendly? You might be able to squeak out a few more MPH out of it. Just wondering. Seems like it might be a neat thing to do. That or maybe I'm just crazy lol. Would it interfere with the workings of the bike? What does everyone think?

2. Norm

Norm Member

I've had it on my mind for a while.I think you probably would eek out a few more mph and maybe some mpg too. I don't have a prototype in my head yet. I'm just noodling with it now.

3. crabdance

crabdance Member

If you are interested PM me and maybe we can work on this together. I'm not that mechanical but I love to tinker with stuff. I think if you could make a clear shield that would be awesome. Of course it doesn't have to be clear... that's just the first thing that popped into my mind. Anyway... let me know something.

4. Norm

Norm Member

I'll update you if I come up with anything. Mostly I wait till I see something on the curb or elsewhere that looks like what I want.

5. crabdance

crabdance Member

Ok thanks Norm. I will keep looking into it in my spare time.

6. brendonv

brendonv Member

why dont u go to a motorbike wreckers and get one from a motorbike?

7. crabdance

crabdance Member

That sounds like a good idea... How do I find a motorbike wrecker? Thanks for the idea. I will search for it on Google.

8. brendonv

brendonv Member

Just look on the internet or the phone book, i dont no if u have them in america but in australia we have a wreckers which is where theres all smashed cars or bikes and u can buy parts from them, sometimes if its a front end smash all the back parts like panels will still be fine so u can buy those things from wreckers.

A motorbike wreckers should have windsheilds. You might find some other must have things there too haha.

9. crabdance

crabdance Member

Thanks brendon... I did a search under motorbike wrecker and came up with a lot of hits from Australia. So I did a search for "bicycle faring" and I came up with mostly farings for recumbent bikes. I'm still looking and haven't given up yet!

10. crabdance

crabdance Member

I finally found a bunch of info on farings. Oddly enough, most of it was negative. The only positive comment about them was that in the winter it helped block the cold air but at the same time, in the summer it keeps air from hitting you and makes you burn up. So good and bad points. I will just probably give up on the idea. I'm still new at all this and wondering what will work and what won't. Oh and by the way... the farings are REALLY expensive, so that puts me out of the game. They are around $300.00 to $400.00 and that's too steep for this guy.

thanks for the help everyone

11. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I have a Windwrap GX on my trike. It cuts down on the wind buffeting me on my commute. The wind can blow up the Chilkat valley pretty strongly, and then add the speed of the bike... I think it's worthwhile without figuring gains in speed or mileage. I bought the faring and made my own mounts, that cuts the cost considerably. Augie made his own faring for Sabrina. It looks pretty good.

12. crabdance

crabdance Member

Hi Alaskavan, Do you have a picture where I can see your faring? I see the one on your profile pic but can't tell much about it. Where did you buy the faring? I would be interested in seeing if it's any cheaper than the ones I found. If you have a lot of wind where you live I guess it would work out great... Let me know something when you have a minute. Talk to you soon!

13. crabdance

crabdance Member

dummy me just did a search on your faring and I found where they make them so never mind about the price and everything. I found it.

14. ransrider

ransrider New Member

fairing

i have one on my recumbent. i looked into the commercial brands, but they were entirely too expensive. this cost me all of about $35. i used lexan since in the RC world, the car/truck bodies are made from that and they take a real beating.

i started out trying to curve it in just the longitudinal direction and i cut out a slot for the front wheel. but it wasn't enough. i had an epiphany and overlapped the sides for the wheel slot over each other giving it structural stability in 3 dimensions. put three bolts in it at the overlap, a brace in the middle of the fairing to maintain the curve and mounted at the handlebars on some barends. i had it on there for over 5 years now.

i haven't figured out how to put pictures on this web site yet, but you can see it in the rans.com 2006 photogallery under "Ralf in Lancaster" or sort of in gebe's website www.bikeengines.com/ralftest.htm.

have fun with this one.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  15. Norm

Norm Member

Ransrider, your ride is awsome!

I dream of such things, you actually make them. Super ride dude!

16. crabdance

crabdance Member

Nice faring. You really did a good job on it. Wish I could do that on my bike. but money (and talent) is making me wait, lol. Nice bike too. I bet it's fun to ride.