wind resistant front shield

crabdance

Local time
2:21 AM
Has anyone ever tried to build a wind resistant front shield for a bike to make it more wind friendly? You might be able to squeak out a few more MPH out of it. Just wondering. Seems like it might be a neat thing to do. That or maybe I'm just crazy lol. Would it interfere with the workings of the bike? What does everyone think?

I've had it on my mind for a while.I think you probably would eek out a few more mph and maybe some mpg too. I don't have a prototype in my head yet. I'm just noodling with it now.

I've had it on my mind for a while.I think you probably would eek out a few more mph and maybe some mpg too. I don't have a prototype in my head yet. I'm just noodling with it now.

If you are interested PM me and maybe we can work on this together. I'm not that mechanical but I love to tinker with stuff. I think if you could make a clear shield that would be awesome. Of course it doesn't have to be clear... that's just the first thing that popped into my mind. Anyway... let me know something.

I'll update you if I come up with anything. Mostly I wait till I see something on the curb or elsewhere that looks like what I want.

Just look on the internet or the phone book, i dont no if u have them in america but in australia we have a wreckers which is where theres all smashed cars or bikes and u can buy parts from them, sometimes if its a front end smash all the back parts like panels will still be fine so u can buy those things from wreckers.

A motorbike wreckers should have windsheilds. You might find some other must have things there too haha.

Thanks brendon... I did a search under motorbike wrecker and came up with a lot of hits from Australia. So I did a search for "bicycle faring" and I came up with mostly farings for recumbent bikes. I'm still looking and haven't given up yet!

I finally found a bunch of info on farings. Oddly enough, most of it was negative. The only positive comment about them was that in the winter it helped block the cold air but at the same time, in the summer it keeps air from hitting you and makes you burn up. So good and bad points. I will just probably give up on the idea. I'm still new at all this and wondering what will work and what won't. Oh and by the way... the farings are REALLY expensive, so that puts me out of the game. They are around $300.00 to $400.00 and that's too steep for this guy.

thanks for the help everyone

Back