Windows 7 !!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by seanhan, Aug 21, 2009.

1. seanhan

seanhan Member

:jester:I downloaded the free Windows 7 beta r/c
    Man Is it awesome !!!!!!
    Better then XP and VISTA....
    If any of you are thinking about buying a new computer, Make sure you get a windows 7 upgrade voucher, or wait till 7 is out..
    You wont regreat it !!!!!

2. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Any bugs in it?
  3. seanhan

seanhan Member

so far

it's the most stable OS I have ever used, even runs XP office ok.
    It made my notebook about 3 times faster than Vista ,I think the memory management is better !!!!

Looks Like Microsoft hit one out of the park this time ...
    This will be the OS for the next 10 Years like XP was...
  4. ENO

ENO Member

Windows 7

Eno (Oz)..Yeh heard about it..does it sit beside your XP or does it take over the whole operating system..can you still use XP after you have installed it? I am always reluctant to add things to the operating system in case I cant reverse it..
  5. seanhan

seanhan Member

Well ENO you can set up a duel boot with XP or Vista but I decided what the heck I can always reload my vista disk if it dont work, So I loaded just Windows 7 to get a clean install, I used the upgrade option to keep all my data intact.
    Windows 7 runs a upgrade advisor that tells you before you load it if it doesent like somthing on your machine software of hardware. Mine worked great !!!!
    The only catch is that Windows 7 does not have a email program, so i had to download one i use thunderbird now. But its great my wireless works great and the printer sharing works, no problems with the router, or any of the other Vista machines on my home network. I have 2 vista machines, 1 XP machine, and Windows 7 on my notebook.
  6. sphynx.0029

sphynx.0029 Member

what are the min. sys req for that?
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  7. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

I've made it my business to test MANY MANY programs & in particular backup/restore programs....this is easily the best.Lightening fast/thorough,& boots BEFORE Windows so u can backup/restore Windows BEFORE u even boot into it.
    Eazfix Pro is very similar(one is licensed to the other)

I'm running Vista Home Premium at the mo with the free Win 7 upgrade so i'll try it after early Oct(when the full version is released) & see what it's like,Rollback Rx.
  8. seanhan

seanhan Member

Windows 7

Windows 7 System Requirements
    January 11, 2009 · Filed Under Windows 7
    It looks like one of the biggest gripes that people had against Vista was the fact it was very resource intensive. I am a firm believer that this was a misconception on the part of many based on the way that Vista handled memory differently then XP did. As unfair as it may be though perception is the reality and I believe Microsoft has seen that even if it is unfair. As of this writing for the Beta build 7000 the requirements are:

■1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit processor
    ■1 GB of system memory
    ■16 GB of available disk space
    ■Support for DirectX 9 graphics with 128 MB memory (to enable the Aero theme)
    ■DVD-R/W Drive
    ■Internet access (to download the Beta and get updates)
    Those are very similar to what was recommended for Vista and we know what kind of outcry went out in the world over performance even if it was slightly off mark. So I wanted to see out of the box what the memory footprint was for each OS, nothing too scientific, just right after install I went into Task Manager and grabbed a shot of what the memory was at. First up is Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, again right after basic install:

As you can see it is sitting ~471MB, which is at 43% of available memory. Not too bad...

Lets see what Windows 7 Ultimate install is at right after startup :

Windows 7 is at ~295MB so that is at 25% of available memory which is a pretty significant difference from Vista without any tweaking. It looks like at least so far into this Beta build 7000 they have indeed listened to the Vista criticism and responded. While I don't think the Vista build was ever that sluggish on my laptop, I won't complain about a slimmer operating system.

You should go ahead and give it a try!
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2015
  9. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

I preordered my copy a month or so ago when they offered it at half the price it will be on the shelf when it is released. I had to qualify for an upgrade to get the price but you can do a clean install from the upgrade. It comes with both the 32bit and 64bit on the CD. The thing is, I am running Vista Ultimate 32bit for 2 years now and I have NEVER had a BSOD or any other problem with the software. I have had hardware problems but that was not the fault of the OS. The last dip in the reliability meter came from some beta software I was playing with.

10. seanhan

seanhan Member

I had no real problems with vista except.....
    Sometime internet explorer would just hourglass out ...
    and my up dates just started going in a crazy loop.
    and would never stop, had to do safe mode and restore all the time.
    7 runs my notebook much faster..
  11. sparky

sparky Active Member

Windows 7 kicks butt, and I'm a Micro$oft hater.

I have installed the RTM version on a friend's computer that only had 512MB of ram... and the thing was runnin' great.

Microsoft is finally headed in the right direction after a decade. Thank God there were alternatives to get me this far.
  12. seanhan

seanhan Member

Yea I think now

Corp. America will jump in.. Where I work we still have XP, No companys wanted to go VISTA,
  13. seanhan

seanhan Member

Microsofts timing is bad

Who gonna by it in a recession, Lets see pay the electric bill or buy that new pc...
  14. sparky

sparky Active Member

I dunno how this pricing scheme works... but if they give you a free trial, i don't see why most wouldn't jump on board.
  15. AussieJester

AussieJester Member

been using Windows 7 Ultimate for a few weeks now absolutely brilliant...

16. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

"Sorry, the Windows 7 RC is no longer available for download. If you’ve got the download and need a product key, they’ll be available until October 21, 2009."
  17. sparky

sparky Active Member

18. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Thanks - I might just give it a try!

Vista sucks big time. I still purchase computers with Windows XP Pro at work because they run a lot faster than Vista. It's about time I started testing Windoze 7. I wonder how it'll work with our old Windows 2000 domain controllers............
  19. AussieJester

AussieJester Member

If your going to tellz people to break the law and grab it via Bittorrent might as well let them know there is Loaders out there to activate Windows 7 permanently also rather than simply re-activating the trial. :p

Makes me laugh when i read statemen6s like above post, You purchase PCs with windows XP and expect them to run vista well :: shakes Head :: I would put money on them being older pcs? Wouldn't surprise me if they are lappies too... Vista runs brilliantly i used it from Beta without any SP's ran faultlessly for nearly 2 years right up till i installed XP for 2 days thought... "meh..give it a shot again...have a Black Edition unattended install was feeling slack so...." 2 days is all i could manage with the outdated sloooooooow **** *** performance of XP compared to Vista it is mind numbingly slow, FORGET multitasking with XP something that wouldnt help productivity in the workplace anytwayz right... :-S you fella must be running so **** archaic machines seriously.... to still have xp outrunning Vista...Windows 7 is another step up on speed again over Vista such as Vista was over XP... ...If you dont have AT LEAST 2 GB of ram dont attempt running Vista we don't need another person winging how bad vista because they can't build/instal it on a machine to run correctly ... Windows 7 is less resource hungry and will get a much better response from lower end pc owners when they try running it, buuut we will get the Unix lovers telling us all Microsoft is **** and then the crApple lovers telling us Unix and Microsoft are **** ...used them all they all have their place that said, if you are into gaming more than siting in IRC chatting to fellow nerds Windows 7 will do the job admirably.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  20. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

All the PC's I have purchased for my company (medium sized, 500 employees) in the past year or so have Vista Business licenses. They are Dual Core, and Quad Core processors with 1-2GB of RAM. We opt to "downgrade" to XP Pro because of some compatibility issues with some of our software, and because yes - the same hardware runs much faster with XP than Vista. My company is not alone. If Microsoft had their way, XP would not be a pre-installed option on business class desktops and notebooks.

At least for businesses, Vista offers no real functional advantage over XP to the end user. If Windows 7 is less resource intensive, and less "nanny" like - it'll be a big hit.

If Vista is so good, why does Microsoft still license XP Home for the current generation netbooks?

Vista is a pig IMO. Hopefully Windows 7 isn't a pig with lipstick.