Winter 2 stroke gas storage

Sgt. Howard

Local time
7:41 AM
?? Does 2 stroke fuel mix go sour if allowed to experiance freezing temps? My beastie ran like the proverbial striped primate when I docked her last fall- now she will run at full throttle only, and THAT only after I fly down a slope that gets me close to top speed and pop the clutch. Once I pull the clutch, I have to rev the mill to keep it going- once allowed to die, I have to go through the same routine to get it going again. It has not enough power to push me along on level ground without some assistance. I have checked for spark, cleared the carb, checked the muffler for squatters (nesting insects) and the air cleaner for cloggs- the only thing I can think of is that the fuel mix was in a (semi) sealed can outside. I saw no contamination, but then I might not even recognise it. I will buy fresh go-go sauce and see what that does-
the Old Sgt.

Did you use fuel stabilizer? just the time it sat could have varnished the fuel and made it worthless.... Also could be water contamination. i would seafoam your entire fuel system

Fuel issues

I did not- just took apart the carb- my chamber float has FUEL in it!!! THAT's why it won't run with the choke on, it's already running rich due to too high a level in the chamber! I tried to sqeeze it out but cannot find how it got in... I suspect a hole in the center opening, which you cannot get the fuel to slop onto. I guess I replace the stupid thing, eh? Either that or try to re-adjust the chamber valve by trial and error... any suggestions? I have cleaned out every other aspect of the fuel system- My Mother-in-law has some seriouse background in two-stroke engines and advised me to NOT use carb cleaner, as that will kill the motor- said use WD-40 to clean the carb, and that only off the motor. First time I head of a practical use for that stuff...
the Old Sgt.

is your spark plug good? are your connections tight and not corroded? have you tried starting fluid? have you actually checked for spark? is the sparkplug tight? is your intake gasket good?
these little motors absolutely HATE water in the magneto cover just had to change mine out today..... I live in Tucson! (there is no water here........)

Gas issues

It will run without the choke on until it gets up to temperature- then it bogs out. I'm thinking I need to replace the chamber float and see what that does... I mean, if the electrical is off, it wouldn't run at all, right? I replaced the plug, checked the wires/connections... did not look at the magneto, would THAT cause the symtoms I've described?
the Old Sgt.

hold on what carb do you have? can you post a pic?
if the bike runs it is not likely an electrical problem, unless your kill switch is causing problems (very possible) make sure your white wire isnt shorting out and try disconnecting the kill switch before you start it

i know this sounds silly but have you adjusted how far the carb is on the Intake tube? you may need to move it Further on or pull it out a little

Get a new float. If it got in it will continue to do so. You would end up adjusting it endlessly. Been there, done that.

Just a thought....ever have a gas can sit in the sun, and then put in where it is cooler? I've actually collapsed metal ones like that. Your float may have done the same thing.

gas issue

I'm sure that's what happened. I have been able to 'sweat' all but a light drizzel out of the stupid thing and still no luck. I've mentally gone over the procedure and realised that I did not clean out the float valve. As my time is preciouse (I am one of two surgical techs for my hospital and as such I pull a buttload of call- cannot get my hands dirty/oily/gasolined when on call you see), I have only recently fiddled with the wretched thing since last posting. Interesting note- a local bike shop operator is interested in a partnership building these things. I told him 'you buy the bike, I'll buy the motor'. He wants me to buy both- then he'll tweak up the performance of the bike bearings and chain and take the thing on consignment. I think I'll pass- I'm out $300+ AND the assembly time while he's out 45 minutes of labor. Instead of a partner, I'll be competition. Jerk.
the Old Sgt.

Gas issue

... is NOT a gas issue... or might have been but there was ANOTHER issue in that the connection of the black wire to the frame of the magneto was no good- I'm guessing that the solder joint seperated and there was only charge going to the spark when the magneto was generating enough power to bridge the corrosion where the wire was leaning against the solder- makes sense, as the motor will only run without the choke at that speed and once it drops in RPM enough to break the connection it dies... would explain the symptoms, anyway. I bared the wire near the connection and changed the connection position to the top left bolt, then soldered the wire off the coil direct to the black wire- ought to work. currently gapping the plug and we'll see what happens-

Gas Issue (NOT!!!)

IT IS ALIVE!!!! IT IS ALIVE!!! MY CREATURE... HAS... LIFE!!!!
Seriousely enough, it WAS the magneto connection, but all the fussing and fine tuning that went into the fuel system seems to make a dramatic difference in performance of the beastie. Now I can get to the buisness of reporting the functionality of the manic mechanic sprocket mount useing the stock HT sprocket- YES, IT WORKS TOO!!!
the Old Sgt.

Back