Winter Dreamin'

robin bird

Local time
4:36 AM
It seems every winter a whole bunch of us go into the dream mode and talk of a long distance trip.Some of them materialize ( as this year i hope mine will). Other not intensionally just fizzle out. It all makes for good winter dreaming and the planning ,working over our rigs and route planning add a winter enjoyment , especially those of you who have lots of snow on the ground.
It helps to read diaries from some of the long distance stars like Auggie Dog on this site and his new blog at http://www.mb-rambler.mysite.com/ also Ken Keiffers site http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/touring/
( Ken was strictly a pedalist) but it is very inspirational.
My favorite being Canadian is Walter Muma who on a moped did a 18660 km trip mostly in Canada - http://www.mopedtrip.com/
This was done on a Mobylette a French bike that you can pedal -50cc
Anyone else have an inspirational role model ?

It seems every winter a whole bunch of us go into the dream mode and talk of a long distance trip.Some of them materialize ( as this year i hope mine will). Other not intensionally just fizzle out. It all makes for good winter dreaming and the planning ,working over our rigs and route planning add a winter enjoyment , especially those of you who have lots of snow on the ground.?

That's all good, but i don't plan, can't do the daily or even weekly blog thing, my rig will be lying in a heap practically till the day i go touring having been stripped for parts on my winter non-motorized bike, and there is rarely snow on the ground in Albuquerque. The first time i even switched on my motor was on tour 3 years ago after taking the train to Belen, and peddling most of the way to Socorro. The first time i went long distance bike touring, i moved out of a house and figured out how to put wire baskets and my stuff on a bike. I also whipped up a touring bike and gear after a bus tour, at the K-Mart in Bishop, CA, and camped in the parking lot the 1st night.
I like crazyguyonabike.com a lot especially the Serendipity feature. I am really impressed with these journals and pictures, but it makes me realize that there is already huge content out there, and mainly I just can't do "numbers". All these people are like "I went 55.7 miles today, average speed 14.12, total so far 3116.123km......"
I'm not disagreeing with you, NM is all about diversity, planning is necessary for some people. But i know people who have been planning to motorize bikes for 5 years; people take my picture and say they have a friend who has talked about putting a motor on a bike for decades, dozens of people say "Man, that's cool, i gotta do that", I doubt any have. Motorized tour biking is cool NOW, even the cops are fascinated, i seriously doubt it will get better.

slack and robin bird you are rite people love to talk a good ride. But when it comes down to it that's all it is. Just talk lot of people don't have the gumpion to do any thing barely wanna work much less spend the money and go for broke. It takes dedication and balls to pack a bike up . Throw what stuff you have in storage or the trash and just do it. I live out of my storage cause i cant afford a place to live i got a motor bike i got a tour bike non motorized. A couple of tents a bike trailer im building and a minivan . I sleep in my van and store my stuff in my and work on my stuff in my storage unit. I pay 50 a month for a 10 x15 storage and it holds everything i own which isnt much. But i dont need much either Im not concerned with stuff i just live barely but i do. I'm under employed by the state i work seasonal cause not much work in this area record high unemployment and layoffs every week . Im divorsed with to kids my mom and dad got custody of. So i cant go to far no child support thank god but no room with them for me. But im happier now than when i had a home i guess it is that free spirit in me coming out. But i gotta get my health fixed first finally got a medical card i had thyroid surgery last yr but now im swollen up like a fat man. I went from 145 to 216 in 4 months now i can go and get help. Then go ride some trips again. Before i had thyroid problems i traveled by bike to fForida and back from Missouri. So i've made a few trips i hear it all the time i wanna do it to if thats the case do like Jesus said to the rich man sell your stuff and pick up your cross and follow me ....................................

Last edited:
come on people post your idea

robin bird has made some very good points.People how many of you would really like to make a trip? Lets keep this thread alive before it is washed away. iI i ever get my health straightned out im 38 im young i can still run with the big dogs .And there is a lot of you out there a lot younger than me. Even if only a weekend trip to a local campsite going by motor bike do it. And plan it here . Come on people i know everybody doesnt live where these things are illegal. I know everybody dont live in the country either. There is people in the burbs and in the city if you dont have any camping supplies borrow some this spring we need to get out there and just do it people im going weather im well or not .
And not everybody is to busy busy watching the game is not busy. If everybody that builds these thing loves thrm like they claim it is a no brainer RIDE. go some where gees im gonna go to the lake this spring 50 miles one way . My only problem i have is tearing up rear rims and bearings out so i'll take a couple extra sets of bearings with me . i would just like to see a little planing for spring it is around the corner ...

Thanx to robin bird and wbuttry for the optimism. I'm going somewhere (again), don't know where, but somewhere for sure. I guess i could talk options, i'm fairly close to the Great Divide Trail so could do some of that, haven't been to Oregon/Washington lately, sure would be easier to go East, with the wind for a change.............
"Build a motorized tour bike, and you will go"

My first trips will be short ones. There's something I can get in Oregon that I can't get here and it's a 56 mile 1 way to Ontario, Ore. I'm on SSI so I understand the health aspect of it but I can tell you one thing: I feel better riding my bike around than when I'm just sitting at home. Can not wait for spring.

My first trips will be short ones. There's something I can get in Oregon that I can't get here and it's a 56 mile 1 way to Ontario, Ore. I'm on SSI so I understand the health aspect of it but I can tell you one thing: I feel better riding my bike around than when I'm just sitting at home. Can not wait for spring.
I know exactly what you mean dave c I was 145went from that to 216 in 4 months. They said my lack of a thyroid has sent my body into shock and i hurt constantly until i get this fixed . they say meds

Weve been warm here and very little snow. Water on the roads -out today getting pushed south by a strong North wind. I find my bike is the best ANTIDEPRESSANT I KNOW OF. mAYBE BECAUSE WHEN YOUR ON IT YOU CONCENTRATE MORE THAN JUST A PEDAL BIKE.Sorry i didnt meen to shout - pushed locks cap key by mistake and too lazy to erase.
The other thing i like is the hobby that it is- building-repairing and planning trips even for small distances can be fun.

Now we have the snow and ice. If you're travelling with other people it is probably manditory to plan a route, otherwise it seems like there would be discussions/arguments about every turn or sidetrip. My "plan" is always to follow the weather. Out of ~150 days last year, i had about 2 sorta mediocre days. Here's what happens to people who have a planned route; kind of nice to be that young and hardy though, and have top-notch gear:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/video/video.php?v=661995718567&oid=140957045951526&comments

Back