Winter Fun

lowfuel

Local time
10:39 AM
Ah winter soon the snow will come. Time to put the bike in the shed until summer. The fun is over.... or is it ? Hey I'm thinking chains and ski's and new Ideas. It's what we do, break with convention. I know it's been done. Anybody got some photos ! I need Ideas or even stories the good bad and the ugly. lowfuel

I considered making tire chains last fall, until it occurred to me that my brakes couldn't possibly work that way. Glad I didn't go to all the trouble of making chains and then said, "How could I have been so dumb?"

There's always studded tires, though.

I have been using home made studded tires for the last 2 years.
The screws I used are #8x1/2" lath. Drill 1/8" hole from the top through each lug you want a stud in then insert screw from the bottom. The amount of and placement of studs can vary depending on your needs, I have 80 in the rear and 120 in the front.
After all the studs are in the tire, take and old tube cut out the valve stem and cut the tube along the inside so it will wrap around a your inner tube (use a heavy duty tube with slime). Use a tire linner, I am using pond linner cut to fit.

My winter wear consists of ski bibs, down coat with outter coat, ear flap hat, neoprene face mask, goggles and,ski gloves all water and wind proof.

This year I am using hex heads screwed in from the outside in a solid tire.

Attachments

• studs480.jpg
    studs480.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 162
I considered making tire chains last fall, until it occurred to me that my brakes couldn't possibly work that way. Glad I didn't go to all the trouble of making chains and then said, "How could I have been so dumb?"

There's always studded tires, though.

:unsure:Did that last year using *cable chains* How could I have been so dumb? :whistle:

why not rivit the tire? just use a riviter on the knobbies and it should create a decent stud.

Back