Winter projects?

Placed my parts orders!

Okay...it's official now. I placed my parts orders for the upgrades! Most of the parts were ordered from pricepoint.com and the hub was ordered from Niagara cycle works.

2009 Rockshox Dart 2 Post Black 80mm $89.98
Avid BB7 Mech Disc Brake Grey Fnt/Rer 2009 160mm $44.98
FSA Pig Headset $19.98
Sette Duo O/S 31.8mm Riser Handlebar - 2014 2.5" Rise $21.98
Avid Speed Dial 7 Brake Levers 2009 $17.98
Sram Pit-Stop Full Metal Jacket Disc Brake Cable Set 2009 $19.98
Sette Edge O/S 31.8mm Stem - 2014 90mm $26.98
Sette Torx ST-768 Cable and Housing Cutter $14.98

PRODUCT: $256.84
POSTAGE & HANDLING: $11.95
INSURANCE: $1.25
TOTAL: $270.04

And the Hub from Niagara Cycle Works:

Shimano Deore XT M756 front disc hub $47.68
United States Postal Service First Class Mail: Estimated 1 - 5 Days): $4.09
Total: $51.77

So I'm in about $325 for upgrades so far, but these will for sure make my bike safer and more comfortable to ride. Rim brakes on both ends when I'm pushing close to 40mph at times just didn't make me feel too happy. The more upright riding position and suspension forks will make it more pleasant to ride, too.

Warner

Okay...it's official now. I placed my parts orders for the upgrades! Most of the parts were ordered from pricepoint.com and the hub was ordered from Niagara cycle works.

2009 Rockshox Dart 2 Post Black 80mm $89.98
Avid BB7 Mech Disc Brake Grey Fnt/Rer 2009 160mm $44.98
FSA Pig Headset $19.98
Sette Duo O/S 31.8mm Riser Handlebar - 2014 2.5" Rise $21.98
Avid Speed Dial 7 Brake Levers 2009 $17.98
Sram Pit-Stop Full Metal Jacket Disc Brake Cable Set 2009 $19.98
Sette Edge O/S 31.8mm Stem - 2014 90mm $26.98
Sette Torx ST-768 Cable and Housing Cutter $14.98

PRODUCT: $256.84
POSTAGE & HANDLING: $11.95
INSURANCE: $1.25
TOTAL: $270.04

And the Hub from Niagara Cycle Works:

Shimano Deore XT M756 front disc hub $47.68
United States Postal Service First Class Mail: Estimated 1 - 5 Days): $4.09
Total: $51.77

So I'm in about $325 for upgrades so far, but these will for sure make my bike safer and more comfortable to ride. Rim brakes on both ends when I'm pushing close to 40mph at times just didn't make me feel too happy. The more upright riding position and suspension forks will make it more pleasant to ride, too.

Warner

UPDATE: There hub ended up being out of stock for a while, which is GOOD news, since after I thought about it, it really makes more sense to buy a complete wheel, all laced up and ready to go. I found this one at Performance Bike shop on sale for $59.99 plus tax.

http://www.performancebike.com/weba...oreId=10052&catalogId=10551&productId=1034199

So for about $13 (including tax) more than the price of the hub alone, I get a whole laced up wheel ready to go! It ends up being way cheaper (I would have had to pay someone to lace up the other hub to my existing rim) and easier.

My other parts will arrive today, so now I'm HOPING that my old Trek mountain bike actually IS a 1 1/8" head tube! If not, I have another mountain bike (Giant) hanging in the garage that I got for free....I can likely put all these new components on that one, and just move my Staton kit over if I have to. Between the two bikes (which are from the same era - mid 90's) I would think that ONE of them has a 1 1/8" head tube!

Warner

Last edited:
Great progress!

I finished my vibratory parts tumbler I am using to polish the transmission gears...then I promptly burned out the thrift store motor (real flames and smoke)- so it will be finished again this weekend- this time with a small but well made bench grinder providing the shake.

There will be pics when I get something that works....along with pics of the lightened...and hopefully polished gears.

Great progress!

I finished my vibratory parts tumbler I am using to polish the transmission gears...then I promptly burned out the thrift store motor (real flames and smoke)- so it will be finished again this weekend- this time with a small but well made bench grinder providing the shake.

There will be pics when I get something that works....along with pics of the lightened...and hopefully polished gears.

At least you broke it RIGHT....flames and smoke. Good job! Hahaha. Yeah, it seems like anything that is made to vibrate will eventually wear SOMETHING out. Good luck on your build!

Warner

Agreed, but I was hoping for more than 15 minutes.....and some of these things run for years. The bench grinder affords me a platform that has bearings outboard of the motor itself so the irregular pressure of the eccentric weights in on those bearings rather than the motor bearings themselves. These outboard bearings are replaceable.

Warner- from your posts, you had a great bike before....but this is what many of us do- good is OK, but there is always "better"...and the thing is never truly "done"

Agreed, but I was hoping for more than 15 minutes.....and some of these things run for years. The bench grinder affords me a platform that has bearings outboard of the motor itself so the irregular pressure of the eccentric weights in on those bearings rather than the motor bearings themselves. These outboard bearings are replaceable.

Warner- from your posts, you had a great bike before....but this is what many of us do- good is OK, but there is always "better"...and the thing is never truly "done"

It sounds like your design is good....just got a crappy motor.

Yeah...the upgrades I'm making are more about comfort (higher rise bars and front suspension) and safety (front disc brake) than anything else. I didn't go with high quality suspension forks....just something to smooth out the ride a bit. I'm not going to be doing any off-road with it of course. The roughest surface it would ever see is crushed gravel.

Warner

All my stuff came in today from pricepoint.com It's all exactly what I expected and I got great prices on it all. I also called the local Performance Bike shop and they did have the wheel that was advertised online for $59.99 When I went to pick it up tonight (they held one for me when I called earlier today), they rang it up and gave me a total of something over $115! I said, whoa! Time out...it's supposed to be $59.99! They said, Oh, is that the price we show online for it? I told them it was...the clerk checked online, and wa-la, my total dropped to just over $65. Great deal - $50 cheaper than if I just walked in off the street and hadn't checked online! It's a nice wheel and I'll be good to go! I hope to have some time this weekend to start assembling everything....and keeping my fingers crossed that my existing forks are 1 1/8" - I'm pretty sure they ARE. These upgrades are really going to make the bike more comfortable and safer. I'm happy about everything I ordered....

Warner

Well Houghmade, don't know what the wthr. was like in Valpo yesterday, but I put 10 miles on my remaining HT/Huffy down here in Muncie. Loved it! My winter project is a Felt '1903' w/ HS/Grubee Gen.4. Have been held up for nearly a month waiting on SA drum brake through the LBS for the Felt. May start another. Been wanting to do a MTB and have a couple of Muncie Mission $10.00 bikes just waiting to feed the addiction.

Back