Wireless speedo???

I have used the Cateye wireless on my builds without any problems. One thing though,, I never use the cheaper Chinese engine kits, which I understand may interfere with their operation.

wireless speedo

yea Wiley, its got to be a digital computer and locate the computer in the middle of the handlebars as close to sensor as possible! That seems like about all you can do. I just got to break out the cash and try one. Friend of mine had one on his bike..worked fine until he popped the clutch, then went back to 0.That was 5 years ago. I was thinking maybe technoogy is better now

If you shield the plug wire and cap this will usually limit the electromagnetic field generated by the ignition,Look into the shielding used by paramotor users. I use gps spedo cell phone and radios while running,also a leaded shield between the frame and the cdi or even a wrap on the cdi though this is rarely needed and could cause heat buildup in the cdi unit if not vented properly. Shielded plug wires and caps are not that much more expensive than standards.

Thanks Rab, I'll check it out..Still trying to find a simple speedo in my price range.Dont want the real cheapos they probably wont work anyway..still have to get the signal to the receiver from about,say 24inches.....

With the electromagnetic field created by the engine running shielded all of those problems withthe signal transmission interference will cease. Had the same problem with a number of small engine vehicles and this solution has always worked. On my paramotor the problem was so intense that no electronic device would work withen about 5 to 10 feet when it was running,after I put on the shielding even the super sensitive radios worked great, even when touching the engine while running.

Hey JT.......go and get that cheap Schwinn wired speedo at Walmart for 10 bucks. Works perfect on my bike..tried 2 wireless speedos off ebay-didnt work, I sent em back...got up to 35.6 yesterday (with some wind)..forget about wireless, just run the stupid little wire and go...motorpsycho got it right!

Speedo Mayhem

Hello ApacheKid
I have three Schwinn speedos from Walmart.One on Homelite friction drive,one on 48cc Grubee,one on 66cc Grubee.The one on 48 went wacky for a while then worked right for now.On 66 it still comes and goes.Tried rubber underground splicing tape on plug wire.Did'nt help but there's where the problem might be.I've seen on some sites they sell high performance plug wires that are gauranteed not to mess with your speedo.Is it possible the interference could be coming from through the magneto cover?I put a JBM Damp Prom kit on the 48cc.I have another kit for that maybe will try on 66cc and see if that works.

Yeah, JT..Ive only had mine on for 2 days...You say on your 66Grubee it comes and goes? like speedo goes to 0.0? or you mean it reads erratic numbers? All I see to do is make sure the magnet is lined up with transmitter right on mark, no more than 1 mm. I dont think you can get interference out of magneto box intermittently..when I had those wireless ones on they just didnt read right at all, ever. Seems to me that if it works good once, it should keep working as long as magnet misalligns,..... but then what do I know? mine probably'll go out tomorrow!!!

Back