Wollongong Australia, MB court case

I'm in the 'struggle to climb hills' category. I've got emphysema and can't pedal much at all. (That'll be my defense.)

I'll keep an eye on this case, especially since it's local. I'd love to see the guy win, but I think he's screwed. It doesn't bode well for the rest of us in the area. I'm nervous to ride the 2-stroke at the moment. Electric only for now.

Here's a document on the proposed legislation. (I've been in touch with the author, Gabriel Denoury, re a focus group.):-

Nice work Steve! yeah I'd be going the electric for now. The out come will determine the approach the boys in blue will take for the future. Will it be worth there while or is it a waste of time dragging you over the hot coals?
I've been right through the proposed changes you have linked here in the past. A lot of it didn't make much sense and lead me to wonder how the authorities and the general public would have a clear understanding of it when you have to find your way through so much jargon. They sure do love the red tape!

Guilty (we're all convicts), until proven innocent !!
Almost all conventional combustion engines, no matter how small, produce at or over 1HP.
It is completely correct to assume a combustion engine will do well over 200W unless it is certified by the engine seller who is willing to back up their product.

Doing 40+km/hr on public roads is idiotic, 30+km/hr you are pushing it. 20-30 is optimum. Too bad this hobby attracts idiots.

screaming emu, I didn't get that document from Gabriel Denoury. It led to him. It was actually pedalless who first pointed me to it, in the Australia: Changes to MB rules thread. He deserves the credit for that.

That document is a year old and nothing has happened yet. We'll have to wait and see. I'm not holding my breath.
I think that most or all ICE MBs will remain illegal.

We all use MB in Australia, & tread in fear.

Would there be a way to follow this court case through
any legal internet sources ? EG courts online ?

Its a travesty, how can we be forced by a corrupt and over-bearing
state government to not do the thing we love ? Rhetorical question.

I now understand slightly better how civil rights activists must have felt.
The two that come to mind are "black rights" in many countries
& G rights presently (eg G marriages)

We're a much lesser proportion of the population than those two groups.

Who will be our Barrack Obama ?
Who will be our Elton John or Freddie Mercury ?
(I can only recall G entertainers, no politicians)

Oh well, as the Beatles sang,
You got to hide your love away.
See below link, I am the guy in the drain, with the concrete on his head.
(looks sorta like a bike helmet.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz7IjXu0DfQ

Here I stand head in hand
Turn my face to the wall
If she's gone I can't go on
Feelin' two-foot small

Everywhere people stare
Each and every day
I can see them laugh at me
And I hear them say

Hey you've got to hide your love away

How can I even try
I can never win
Hearing them, seeing them
In the state I'm in

How could she say to me
Love will find a way
Gather round all you clowns
Let me hear you say

PS Riding at night & on backstreets and cylceways is one way,
I hide my love away.

Last edited:
Looking at the present legislation there seems to be a grey area concerning push trailers , maybe thats the way to go ?

If the cops pull you up just have a copy of the present laws to show there is no mention of powered trailers :devilish:

Just remember to ghost peddle every where !

Bob.

Good thought, Bobby, but a trailer isn't a bicycle, so doesn't come under motorised bicycle laws. (No pedals)
It would be an unregistered, uninsured motor vehicle.

From the RTA site:-
Motorised foot scooters, miniature motorbikes (also known as mini bikes, pocket bikes or monkey bikes) and other motorised recreational devices do not meet minimum Australian design standards for safety and so cannot be registered. This means they must not be used on roads or in any public areas such as footpaths, car parks and parks.

A trailer would come under 'other motorised recreational devices', I'd think.

Good thought, Bobby, but a trailer isn't a bicycle, so doesn't come under motorised bicycle laws. (No pedals)
It would be an unregistered, uninsured motor vehicle.

From the RTA site:-

A trailer would come under 'other motorised recreational devices', I'd think.

Yep Steve you have a point there '
Guess someone could build a 2 wheel trailer thats big enough to hold a lawn mower ~~ but that lawn mower is the actual power plant to push the trailer :whistle: then they could argue that a lawn mower is not a recreational vehicle :devilish:

Have fun
Bobby.

screaming emu, I didn't get that document from Gabriel Denoury. It led to him. It was actually pedalless who first pointed me to it, in the Australia: Changes to MB rules thread. He deserves the credit for that.

That document is a year old and nothing has happened yet. We'll have to wait and see. I'm not holding my breath.
I think that most or all ICE MBs will remain illegal.

The board meeting that took place in Canberra when this proposal was released gave a 2 year deadline. Tony from Rock Solid Engines was the only business classed as a manufacturer in Australia rather than just an importer of motored bike engines so he was given the opportunity to attend the meeting. It is was said that ICE's along with any other means of powering a bike providing it complied with the max power output etc. would not be discriminated against. This was stated in relation to not limiting new and innovative ideas from manufacturers. Mind you with all the limitations spelled out already in the proposal they haven't left us much to work with!

We are talking about the government here so I do remain sceptical as to what the outcome will be but time will tell, fingers crossed.

The board meeting that took place in Canberra when this proposal was released gave a 2 year deadline.

We are talking about the government here so I do remain sceptical as to what the outcome will be but time will tell, fingers crossed.

****, so if I want to do the Adelaide to Sydney velo ride I'd better get my *** in gear before they make velomibile cruise assists illegal... if there's one thing I've seen from govt over the last few decades, it's that change comes slowly: change for the worse, a year or so after it looks like it's gone away - change for the better ... maybe next year.

Makes me think.

Where I live you can only have 49cc and go 30kph.

Mine is 80cc (66cc) and will go 56kph in its current state. Think I will be doing about 65kph+ when I'm finished.

Back