Wollongong Australia, MB court case

BTW. If the police said that a hairdryer is 120 watts, then they're ... mistaken. 12 HUNDRED watts, maybe, but not 120, as the article states.

The other problem with the hairdryer is that I suspect most of the power will be lost in the heating coil, so it doesn't really give you much of an idea of power output from its motor.

Edit: just checked our (rather tiny) hardryer, the power rating is 800W.

Last edited:
I think it's kinda funny and sad at the same time that hair dryers appear to be more powerful than the electric MB's you are allowed to ride.

Been meaning to get back to this thread for a few days.
The newspaper chose not to cover the follow-up to this case, on 2 September, so I don't know what the result was.
It was only an hour's train ride away - I should have gone to the court.
Apparently transcripts are only available to parties related to the case.
Would have loved to have known how it went.

My guess is that he was convicted, since he had no way to prove that his engine was <=200W - because it wasn't.

Thanks Garp for reminding me.

Hey, A friend of mine was convicted of same type of offence.
He's going to court soon.
Another one got a warning as of last weekend.

I am not game to ride my bike now, and am thinking of selling,
the risk is not worth it.

The logic of these laws makes no sense.

The cops have to prove the motors power is " illegal ! " not just think it is .

Seeing that a special type of dyno is needed to test this & they don't have one :geek:
I bet the prosecution would back down in court if asked where is the test report for this motored bikes power output ?

The cops have to prove the motors power is " illegal ! " not just think it is .

Seeing that a special type of dyno is needed to test this & they don't have one :geek:
I bet the prosecution would back down in court if asked where is the test report for this motored bikes power output ?

I think I read on these forums that the onus is on the owner to prove that it is legal, not on the police.

You know, I think it is time we banded together to lobby the authorities. I have been wanting to get my first motorised bike for weeks now, the thing that is holding me back is fear of prosecution.

Surely there are a few 'legal types' on these forums and we can put together a proper letter/proposal and lobby our local MPs to try and have this changed - for the better.

Back