Engine Trouble Wont start, tried everything.

daobs99

Local time
9:27 PM
Hey guys, the other day my bike stopped working. I didn't use it for about two weeks and when I tried to again it would not start. I replaced the spark plug with an NGK, I changed the carby, fuel line, fuel filter, and CDI Assembly. It still wont start. When I release the clutch the engine makes normal noises as if it is trying to start but it wont turn over. I've kept pedaling for about a minute and I've started it downhill, but I wont get anything, its really frustrating.

I bought the bike used and it always had a little trouble starting up cold. I would have to start it with the air intake on the carb all the way open, idle for 30 seconds, then adjust it after. Also it only worked without an air filter. I can't see any reason for it not to start at all now. I'm running a 20:1 fuel ratio also.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I'd first check to see if there is spark at the plug, then check if plug gets wet with fuel when cranking it over - I'd also go to a 32:1 mix on fuel too

If you have spark and a dry plug. There is a good chance that your carb jet is plugged. Are you using the choke?

No spark, wet plug then you most likely have a ignition failure. Check the solder connection on the magneto. They will occasionally vibrate loose.

Pull the carb, pull the float bowl. Unscrew the jet hold it to the light. You should be able to see light at the other end. Also check the fuel inlet for restrictions.
PART_1434770724576_0619152024.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you have fuel getting to the carb. Some bikes have in-tank filter/strainers that will plug up too. The photo below was a MB with crap in the tank and no fuel filter, everything in the carb was plugged sold. It runs great now.

PART_1435448557928_0627151642.jpgPART_1435443148924_0627151512.jpg

Okay so I had my mechanic friend look at it and he ran through some tests. Apparently there is no spark and the spark plug has an oily residue when I remove it. The spark plug and CDI are new so I assume its the Magneto. Also the front of my engine is very oily and he thinks there may be a leak. Any Ideas?

mag is easy to test with any cheap multimeter - seeing LOTS of dead CDIs lately that are new (something going wrong at factory I suspect) - oil at front of motor is usually loose muffler, but could be loose head, or rarely, loose case bolts

Back