Would Quentin Be willing to adjust my float level?

Hal the Elder

Local time
3:02 PM
HELLO...

It's been awhile since I posted.

My Whizzer's float bowl overflows when I turn on the fuel tap, and I have to tap on the carb with a tool to stop the overflow.

I'm not steady enough at age 75 to make critical adjustments, so I was wondering if you could adjust my float if I sent you my carburetor?

Please let me know your service charge.

Thanks...
Hal the Elder

Hi Hal,

Sounds like some build up on the float needle & seat. Try using Gummout liquid carburetor & fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank. Don't follow the instruction on the bottle! Put about 3 or 4 ounces to about 1/2 tank of gas. After the motor is run for a short period of time the float needle should stop sticking. If not, contact me and I will clean and adjust the carburetor for you.

Have fun,

Hal,
I enjoyed your past posts with your Whizzer NE5, Oscar. Glad to see you still motorbiking and I hope to read more from you and your bike.

For what it's worth, my bike (Blue NER with 3 miles) has been in the garage since I bought her new several years back. Still have to get that NJ motorcycle license.....in addition to having Quenton do some engine modification work this spring..........all that time, she has had a full tank of fuel treated with Stabil........I'll go out and start her up just to savor that nice Whizzer sound and add a little juice to the battery.....and top off the fuel tank with Stabil treated gas as needed. She has never failed to start yet, despite the horrors of Ethanol treated gasoline..........I am a Stabil convert!

Take Care,
Mike

Reply to Quenton:

HEY QUENTON,

I bought a a 6-ounce bottle of Gumout, and it says the bottle will treat 21 gallons of gas!

It's double-concentrated.

Do you think that 3 or 4 ounces of Gumout in a half-gallon of gas in the Whizzer's tank will be too concentrated?

Just asking.....

HAL

Put about half the bottle in approx 1/2 tank of gas. Object is to run it "full" strength to remove the deposits on and around the float seat & needle. As others pointed out, once clean you should use some Stabil in the gas, as it will stop the buildup of residue.

Have fun,

Last edited:
The best product I have found is TECHRON, sold in many stores. They make two different formulas, I use the best, although more expensive, about $9.00. I add to all my gas tanks ONCE (that's all you need) a year. Have never had a fuel injector/throttle body go bad or needed cleaning. A 2 cycle due to added oil may need more then yearly, but I only add if I feel it needs it. Don't over due it as this it some tough stuff.

Last edited:
Paging Hal the Elder! Paging Hal the Elder!

Hi Hal,
Just wondering how the fuel treatment worked for your carb!

Take Care,
Mike

Back