would this bike work? - motor mount - pics

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by sk8freak8989, Dec 28, 2006.

1. sk8freak8989

sk8freak8989 Guest

would theis bike in the link work? the only reason i would think it would not is because of the bottom tube. it is really thick.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2008

2. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

i had a similar frame....very tight fit...needed to alter the intake & carb.
    didn't do it. I like the frame style.
  3. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

i agree with srdavo...nice frame but it looks like a tight and high fit, could be tough to fabricate a front mount that lets it sit right.
  4. bird

bird Guest

it also looks like the seat tube is to big.
  5. Tom

Tom Active Member

Good eye
  6. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

about that...my whole frame is 35mm & i thought i was gonna have problems. but, even tho the mounts don't seat all the way, the studs (very tightly) clear the tubing and the brackets fit on enough for the nuts. the brackets formed themselves to the bigger tubing & the engine-mounting is rock-solid.

7. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

I used a small grinding wheel with my zip-saw (heavy duty Dremel) to widen the curve in the mounting blocks for a huge framed Jamis cruiser. (Wider, not any deeper) Fit better than OJ's gloves. I didn't get any pics from this build & the bike went to Florida. This bike was tall like Augi's.....I could reach the pedals but not the ground.
  8. tirebiter

tirebiter Guest

One way you can mount to different sized tubes is to make a steel plate drilled to fit the motor mount studs and another set of holes to fit a vibration damping u-bolt that fits the tube. I've done this on two bikes without any problems.

Here's a pic of an 80cc mounted that way.

Close up

Here's a couple of different kinds of cushioned u-bolts available in different sizes at McMaster-Carr

9. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

very nice set up, Tirebiter. really clean

here's a pic of Rusty's 1st front motor mount....

10. tirebiter

tirebiter Guest

I like Rusty's better than the one I used. 8) Two u-bolts is a lot sturdier than one.
  11. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

yeah, a 2-clamp version of tirebiter's setup, front & rear, would make for a nice vib-free setup and no twisting under torque, gonna have to look into that modification :)
  12. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

yes...do the same set-up on the rear mount......solid & vibration free!

or should I have said "DITTO" lol
  13. etheric

etheric Guest

sk8freek don't feel like you've got to buy a new bike. If you dig around you may be able to find a quality used one that has more character. Plus a new bike from walmart may not hold up very long, but a rebuilt/well cared for old bike could potentially be higher quality and be a better long term investment.
  14. Heath

Heath Guest

i agree with what ethan says. being as though we work in a bicycle shop, we find things more often, but there are still things out there. we've had customers come away from yard sales and goodwills with nice cheap bikes. of course, there is more trash than treasure there, so be choosy. always make sure when looking at used (and new bikes from wal-mart, target, etc.) that you make sure that the frame is square. stand behind and in front of the bike and make sure that it's straight, front to back. on used bikes also, look behind the front fork where it meets the actual bike frame. if you see wrinkles in the downtube, don't buy it! i've seen a LOT of older bikes come through the shop with bent frames. another tell tale sign of a bend in that spot, is cracks in the paint on the top tube behind the stem (goose neck for you old timers). it might kind of look like stretch marks in the paint. use your common sense and better judgement and you'll most likely be okay.
  15. sk8freak8989

sk8freak8989 Guest

well i found a bike that i think the engin will fit and it has a all aluminum frame so it should be really light. heres the link

16. etheric

etheric Guest

Well....the chinese engine will match the chinese frame I guess. You may have to standoff that front/downtube mount a bit.
    I, again, wouldn't recommend coaster brakes.
    Seems a bit pricey though. If I was to say much else I'd start repeating my earlier post...
  17. sk8freak8989

sk8freak8989 Guest

i have been looking for a used bike that i like but i have had no luck. that is why i was looking at new bikes. also if i got that bike i would take the coaster brakes off and replace them with hand brakes.
  18. etheric

etheric Guest

It may be significantly easier to start with a bike with rim brakes rather than remove a coaster and make the switch; you stand a very good chance of run ning into alot of problems that way.
  19. Cookie

Cookie Guest

That looks good to me I have a beach cruser and it seems like the motor and bike where made for each other .....I prefer the cruser break to the hand break but then I had a hand break bend up and break when I had to do a panic stop courtisy of a SUV I have never had trouble with the cruser break( over 3,000 miles) but then agen that is the type of break I learnd on when I was a little girl.

Now when the hub breaks get cheep enough I want to try one of those.

20. sk8freak8989

sk8freak8989 Guest

do you think the engine would fit because the front tube looks ferther away from the tube that goes up to the seat.