Wow, my new 60cc is Smoother than my 70cc!

Discussion in 'Spare Parts, Tools & Product Developement' started by Topher39, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Topher39

Topher39 Guest

I built my son a new ride with a Dax 65cc kit. My ride has a dax 70cc - the kits were similar, but had a few differences in hardware here and there. What is really different is how smooth this little 65 is compared to the 70. Much Quieter, smoother by far, even during the 1st 5 min. on that "spankin" new motor. So what gives? Are they really that different? I enjoy the 70, it runs well over all but gee wiz, this 65 right out of the shoot is going to be nice.

Anyway, some of your feedback would be great.

By the way, out of the box I put the new clutch "roller" mechanism I saw posted and it works really great, along with the derailer sprocket instead of the nylon roller bearing - some great ideas from you all, Thanks!

My Son Bailey will be introduced to the forums too, along with his new ride and a photo. At present, he can't wait for me to get home from work so we can start breaking it in. (I did not tell him I was up at 6am this am to take a first ride - could not resist after finishing it last night at 10pm)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2008

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

excellent father-son bonding project ! :D
    good on ya Topher ! :)
  3. Topher39

Topher39 Guest

Yes my son Bailey and I do most everything together, sometimes I am not sure who is more of a kid! He has an electric scooter and we have tried to go on a few rides together but range is a factor on the e-ride and as he says, "I feel like I am riding at Grandma speed" Now we can cruise together, something fun for us both for sure. He got the bike for xmas, and the motor for his birthday.

Thanks for the feedback!
  4. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

Good story Topher, I had to laugh when you said you woke up early to go for a ride.
    I'm sure Large will be happy to learn that his trick has once again made its way onto another bike!
    Your son Bailey is one lucky guy to have a dad like you and having "fun" together is a great way of "keeping in touch"!
  5. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

You've got absolutely the right idea with your son....communications,combined with practical "hands-on" experience together.
    I can't help u with the Dax problem but if Bailey has the better engine u could always get up even earlier and swap them..........kidding. ;)
  6. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

7. I'm gonna cry,man. :grin:
  8. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

hehe, why you cryin', it the dad-son bonding thing?
    nah..i'll bet it's just because there's another HT on the road :lol::lol:

sorry, toph', it was out there and someone had to take a jab at it ;)
  9. graucho

graucho Active Member

Ya got to love a smooth install. Maybe you should have set your alarm for 5am. So you could have busted him riding it before you snuck out at 6. HeHe....
  10. Topher39

Topher39 Guest

How did this post get into the parts pile??
  11. azbill

azbill Active Member

this the place to talk about your engine/kit
    I thought you started it here
  12. Topher39

Topher39 Guest

I thought I started my post in the frame mount garage, but if this is where it should be then OK - sounded strange to be in the parts pile!

Augidog, thanks for the links to the 65/70 - very helpful!

The motor is running well, week on any low grade hill though, wondering if I should adjust the carb ring to run richer. After a few short rides - about 4 miles total the plug is dry and light choc. color. Maybe I need to richen up? I know the power should start to come up soon, would have thought I might have a bit more torque though. I don't want to be too lean.

going up our street is a low grade hill, when on the throttle anything above 1/2 it bogs down, if I back off a bit I can hear the motor is "happy" but having to peddle quite a bit. Lean?

I live at an altitude of 3500 feet.

13. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

topher...i put it in here as a consumer-review of sorts...however, if this turns into a project with discussion & updates on the build, i'll gladly get it back into the garage :)

let's start with current plug-gap, needle setting, and mixture specs...?

if the plug is really dry, try the next setting down on the needle:
  14. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

I have run 2 65cc engines and can vouch for their smoothness but I think I'll be stickign to the 70cc engines in the future because the 65 is too weak for my tastes and unfortunately high altitude.