WTB Mitsubishi TLE-43

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by retgi, Sep 26, 2009.

1. retgi

retgi Member

I've only found one source for this engine and I think it's priced too high so if anyone here has a new or nearly new TLE-43 please PM me with your price. thanks

2. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

SORRY ! I can't help you with that issue. I went through the same thing a few months ago with both Mitsubishi and Subaru. If it's that hard to find where to buy one, what do you think it's going to be like if you need parts for them down the road. The one or 2 dealers that sell the engine might have parts, but they'll also have a monoply on the price too ! I ended up buying a Honda GX35, whch I don't like due to big time lack of power. I have a friction drive kit with a Harbor Freight engine. The original engine. I swapped it for the Honda and then back to the HF engine because it has more power than the Honda.I know me and a few other people think the Harbor Freight engine might be a Chinese clone of the Mitsubishi. They sure look very, very similar. I like my HF engine. I can buy 4 of them for the price of one Mitsubishi. I'm not trying to sell you on Harbor Freight and I don't care what you use. Just trying to help you and others that might read this.But if you're interested in the HF engine let me know and I'll tell you how to get one for around $80.00 plus your local sales tax. Seriously ! No gimick at all. I know first hand. I've done it. Hope this helps !

3. retgi

retgi Member

Thanks Porkchop. You made a very good point. I have considered the HF motor but I want a relatively quiet motor and these are not as I understand it or are they? I'm now looking at the Titan 4 stroke which seems to be a great engine with power and not too loud. I'm getting a BMP fricton kit and want a motor around 2 hp.

4. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

Personally I don't think my engine is to loud. I live on a major 4 lane highway, and with the Harleys and the kid's boom boxes, you think I'm cioncerned about noise ? It's behind me anyway. And I can buy those engines for less than $90.00 out the door. My friction kit is from BMP also. Been very pleased with it. My engine is rated from 1.5 to 2.2 horse power depending on who you listen to. But I know it will leave a Honda GX35 sitting in the dust. The Honda is rated at 1.6hp. If you use the HondaGX35 you'll be sorry if you're looking for power. My HF engine using the 1.25" roller will run all over the Honda using the smaller 1" roller. Bottom and top end. I don't care to much about the top end speed. Power all around is what I want. HF engine seems to do just fine for me. I would like to ride a friction drive with the Titan 50 for comparison. I've been thinking about a Titan 50 frame mount with shift kit.

5. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

Just a quick note that I meant to mention earlier, there are vendors that sell custom exhaust pipes for the 2 cycle engines for apounr 25-30 dollars. I don't know anything more about them. Buy I do know thery're available. Also Harbor Freight has their water pump with the 52cc engine on sale right now for $99.00. If they have a current 20% off coupon, you can get one for $80.00 plus your local sales tax. Hope this helps.

6. retgi

retgi Member

I decided to give the Titan a try and ordered one last night. I've read nothing but good reviews about it and heard it on videos and sounds quiet as far as small engines go.

7. dunktap

dunktap New Member

I actually just ordered the same kit

yo keep up with me and let me know how urs runs

8. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

I had both and IMO stick with the Mitsubishi and leave off the Chinese made clones. They last longer, are more reliable and are MUCH quieter.
    Better yet for me is the Robin 35.
    Power needs depend on how much load your packing. It's pointless to compare engine power with two engines with one having 50% more displacement.

9. retgi

retgi Member

Thanks for the tip. However, I have a generator with a clone honda engine and it has run 72 hrs non-stop (except for adding gas) and never so much as a hiccup.

10. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

All engines with a "JAPANESE" name on them are not made in Japan !

11. loquin

loquin Active Member

True, but, they do have Japanese quality control behind 'em...

Also, did you look here? That site still has 'em for $235...

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  12. cpuaid

cpuaid Member

Always looking for another Mitsubishi TLE43 to keep as a spare. These are getting almost impossible to find for under $299. If anyone has any leads for less than that, please post them.

13. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

In that regard, from my understanding some of the smaller displacement series Honda engines are made in Thailand and as mentioned with Japenese QC.
    Other than that, the Robins, Mitsubishi and Tanakas are all manufactured in Japan.

14. loquin

loquin Active Member

Yes - it's the 25cc and 35cc Honda's (only) that are produced in Thailand (with Japanese QC behind them.) Other Hondas are manufactured in Japan. As are the other manufacturer's models mentioned.

15. floridaboy

floridaboy Member

Porkchop:
    I think you can help me with some questions. Does the HF pump engine have a clutch or do you need to order one from HF or will others work. Also were can the discount for HF be found?

16. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

Here's the link to the Harbor Freight coupons. Seems like here lately they are issuing 15% off coupons rather than their regular 20% off coupons. They had a 15% off that expired today. Don't let that bother you though. Check this site on a regular basis. They hardly ever go more than a week at a time without issuing another coupon.
    http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?p=18485361

Parts for HF products are very cheap as well as their shipping rates. The draw back is that it usually takes 6 to 8 weeks for delivery time. The pump does NOT come with a clutch. I bought a few spare clutches about 2 or 3 months ago. They were $2.47 ea. You'll have to get the part numbers from the auger they sell. Won't find it on the pump parts list because they don't have one. You'll also need to buy the washers and mounting bolts as well. That'll cost you about another 2 or 3 dollars.
    Also, click on the following link. It's a thread I posted several months ago about the pump engine.

http://motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=20783

If you have more questions, get in touch !
    Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  17. floridaboy

floridaboy Member

Thanks Porkchop for all the information. I was thinking on picking up one of these pump engines for a furture project. I was thinking it would be good on a Staton friction drive.

18. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

20% Off Coupon

I just noticed on the fore-mentioned Harbor Freight discount coupon web site I posted about, there is a 20% off coupon there under "Twitter Deals". I've had problems in the past about HF coupons being bogus. I don't know if this 20% coupon is valid, but it's worth trying. It expires the last day of this month. Stores ususaly have a heads up on bogus coupons.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  19. loquin

loquin Active Member

Go out and buy an October or November Popular Mechanics, or Popular Science magazine. There's a 20% off coupon on a whole-page Harbor Freight ad, near the back in both magazines. And, in Phoenix anyway, there's a sales flyer included in the Sunday paper (AZ Republic) with a 20% coupon every week.

Last edited: May 11, 2010