WTBuy or Build: Back rest

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Scottm, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Scottm

Scottm Guest

I want a back rest but not that high of one like a tall sissy bar back rest. Here is what I've found but don't want to blow $60. I'm saving up for a new 70cc for my new Jaguar. http://www.belizebike.com/english/backrest.html

Anyone have any ideas or prototypes lying around for sale? I may try to make something out of my old seat and some conduit.
    Thanks

2. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

easy with the back-rest thing...i personally like being able to bail-out if/when i need to.

i edited your subject to say "WTB", but do you want to keep this here or go into "general" and discuss making one?

3. Scottm

Scottm Guest

I don't know what WTB means, Wanting to buy? Put it where you see if, it won't bother me. My brain is crankig away. I've still got the kids old bikes that they've out grown and might use the handle bar connectors to grab the frame, so this may work better in the other fourm.
    You anticipate havig to flip back off the bike in the event of a crash?
    Hmm.

I must admit, I will have to lay the bike over to get on. Nearly sprained the groin trying to kick a leg over the spout on my gas can on the cargo rack.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2007
  4. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

yes, if it's me or the bike, she's gonna be sacrificed. i figure to just stand up and let go if i have to.

edited again & moved to "general"

5. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

whoa! that'd make almost any bike feel like a 'bent :cool:

6. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Thats got my sore backs attention. Wonder if there are any less expensive dealers or close to the same product around?
    Doc

7. Scottm

Scottm Guest

I want a back rest to lean back on while I cruise. I've switched handle bars onmy mtn bike from low and straight to high and curved do I dont have to ride like a hunch back. After about 5 miles on my daily lunch ride, I want to lean back and float back to work.

8. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

scott, the trick is higher bars for an upright sit.

9. Get a computer chair and a welder....it would rule.

10. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Had thought of that. My boss collects them from dumpsters for his deer blinds. The conflict is the V-brakes cable runs straight down the post and along the rear forks. I can't raise the seat to attach it to the posts or my feet won't touch the ground. I may attach something to the rear rack. I do have lots of flat 1/8 x 1 stock.
    Well maybe we'll come up with something for Doc's back.

11. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Thank you Scott for thinking of me, but it will be a while until I mount anything!
    Have time to keep looking though.
    Doc

12. http://www.day6bicycles.com/faqs.html

!!!!!!!!!

I was thinking too that if you take a sissy bar and shorten it,bend the ends so it goes under the saddle,you can mount it to the two bars that your seat clamp clamps on and tighten it up with hose clamps. Then cover it lightly with a cloth and some padding. It would be one piece and maybe not so large.

13. sharpf

sharpf New Member

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  14. sharpf

sharpf New Member

Hmmm, word being blocked

The link I gave you, the name is short for Richard, 4 letters. I guess they think it is a dirty word!!!! Too funny!!!

15. srjeeper

srjeeper New Member

I've seen backrests listed on www.workmans.com, look in the 'PDF price list' section. There's a small picture also. :D

16. Maxvision

Maxvision New Member

back rest vs handlebars

Absolutely correct. I had low bars on my stretch beachshot1.jpg and felt the strain on my back during long rides. Put hi-rise bars on Hurricane1.jpg and I can ride all day completely comfortable.

Besides looking er...uh...gey, the problems you will run into with the backrest, as people have listed here already, far out weigh just changing out handlebars.