WWII Military Motorized Bikes? Anyone???

The other light-weight motorbike that the military dropped via parachute were the Simplex Servi-cycle. Some people think they are a bicycle conversion. But they were just one step above a Whizzer, and still belt drive and weighed only 120 lbs, heavy duty 26" wheels, push start, 125 cc two stroke, 35 mph.

....Bob

Here's one

Attachments

• servi-cycle.jpg
    servi-cycle.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 721
The only thing I have herd about from older relatives Is they were used by runners in ship yard along with simplex and servi-cars.one uncle thinks some had one at Vancouver barrinks in 1946.dosnt know if it was Whizzer or simplex ect. Bill Green Vancouver Whizzer

I haven't come up with any documentation that the US military ordered any Whizzers during WWII. That's not to say that some didn't make it into service through unofficial channels. The lightweight motorbike that Uncle Sam ordered was indeed the Simplex Servicycle. The regular contract bicycles for the military were made by Huffman and Columbia. The two photos of the "military Whizzer" are of the same bike. It's a Schwinn DX frame with a Whizzer engine. The bike's bullet light referred to by Augidog is a Delta PT, a post war model. The correct military bullet light is the style of Delta found on Yaquina143's bike. It's my opinion that this bike is not a genuine military Whizzer, if such a thing existed. I feel that if any military bikes were converted with the engine kit during WWII, they would have been Columbias or Huffmans.

Contact the historian for the Army Transportation Corps which is located at Fort Useless, Virgnia...oops mean to say Fort Eustis. The RMe Transpo Corp should have details regarding any mode of conveyance used by the Rme.

Yes: I will. I have a 6-1/2 H.P. engine I,m going to put on it. I don't know if it's a motored bike or a LITTLE motorcycle.??

Hey Butch, I've got a Simplex too. they are a great little bike. Putting a "briggs" type engine ain't as easy as it seems. the original engine's drive shaft is on the opposite side from all the other engines. and they are a lot wider that the originals so you have to figure out counter shafts, etc. but a lot of people are doing so its not impossible.

......Bob

Attachments

• snowpic3.jpg
    snowpic3.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 1,248
Back