Discussion in 'General Questions' started by butterbean, Jul 12, 2015.

1. butterbean

butterbean Well-Known Member

Screw that place. That is all. You may now continue with your regularly scheduled program.

2. The_Aleman

The_Aleman Active Member

You know, it's funny - I said the same thing about this place back in 2008 under the old owner and moderators. I like how Anton does things here.

I left this forum for a long time, hence my low post count. Now I boycott the other site out of principle. I miss a few people over there, but life goes on.

I was a moderator at a well-known gaming website for 3 years. Moderating is an often thankless job and it won't make one many friends aside from the inevitable toadies.
    It can often make some vicious enemies. But, all websites have limits on what is acceptable post behavior. There's always going to be some chucklehead testing the limits.
    It's not an easy job if you have to do it every day, and it takes a monk's patience at times. Unstable-minded people are not fit to be censors of people's public postings.

Thing is, we MaBers are often salty hardasses. We're salty for all kinds of reasons. For the most part tho, I think the majority of us are good people when it matters.

I leave now with a quote on censorship by Robert A. Heinlein:
    Anton likes this.
  3. LR Jerry

LR Jerry Well-Known Member

I can honestly say this forum tends to be more tolerant of what they'll allow you to say.
  4. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

Ah, Heinlein is my favorite author.

I use both sites, but prefer the other as this site uses third party scripts which my security doesn't allow to run. Makes things load very slowly here and I miss some content.
  5. butterbean

I do like anton's style much better. I also like the fact that there are no other staff here, so no one can abuse their over inflated sense of authority. Here, when someone is harassing you, Anton actually does something about it. Over there, nobody does anything until you speak up for yourself and then you're the one who gets in trouble.
  6. Anton

Anton Administrator Staff Member

This forum exists as a place for motorized bikers to exchange knowledge and share their passion for riding. It is made by members for members. Everyone here has helped to make this place what it is.

You are entitled to your own opinions and so we do not sensor anything apart from offensive posts and swear words. Rather than banning users, I talk to them and get to the bottom of the issue.

Behind the scenes my role is to keep the server running, update the software, eliminate spam, deal with login issues and try to steer this place in the direction that benefits all members.

I'm always open to new ideas and happy to find a solution to any issues you may have. Simply PM me here http://www.motoredbikes.com/member.php?1-Anton or post a suggestion here http://www.motoredbikes.com/forumdisplay.php?81-Forum-Help-amp-Suggestions

At your service!
    MotorBicycleRacing and Timbone like this.
  7. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

you do well at it too
  8. butterbean

Thanks, Anton. Posts reported.
  9. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

All the forums I visit are very sensitive about what is posted. I am amazed at how many common words get censored.
  10. 2old2learn

2old2learn Member

Given the broad age range on the site, those of us with time and sun hardened skin need to try to be as kind and gentle as reasonable. It's easy for us to let mud slide off our backs as we've had mud slung at us many times.

Why do old men dress strange? Because they don't care what you think!
  11. Thxcuz

Thxcuz New Member

If you want to see how not to run a forum check out moped army.
    So what's wrong with the other forum? I've been a frequent poster for years never had any trouble. I have just returned to this forum after being accused of selling a certain friction drive and then being banned for it and then let back in after proving that I am not selling anything.
    That was several years ago, I'm guessing things have changed?
  12. butterbean

I don't know, I left that place for good. I got tired of the childish behavior by the staff over there. I'm done with that place. The staff over there can all go get stuffed.
  13. butre

butre Well-Known Member

the staff at the other forum are very up their own asses.
    butterbean likes this.
  14. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

That's me! That's me! :)

Oh, well........back to the subject at hand.

I joined here in the spring of 2008. I remember this forum as being quite lively back then. It took me until 2012 to even find 'that other forum'. Though I had a vague awareness that it did exist.

I enjoyed this forum for quite some time if memory serves. But somewhere along the way it came to feel something like the breakup of Yugoslavia. The fighting in here was terrible. (I'm talking the old days under "Tom" here.)

I don't recall making a conscious decision to move on. Though maybe I did. In either case, I went away. Over a couple of years there I might have logged on once in a great while. But I was pretty much gone.

One day I noticed that this place was under new management. I also noticed, unfortunately, that it was all but dead. Very little traffic. And not much of what traffic there might have been seemed to be very interesting. I'd still check in from time to time. But I was literally saddened by what I found. This forum was the place where I learned that it was actually possible to get an engine that could be mounted to a bicycle. It's where I learned a number of useful things. It's where I learned at least some mistakes to be avoided. (Which save me time, money and frustration.) It's where I learned how to muddle through my first couple of builds so that the next ones would be even better.

I have good reason to be grateful to motoredbikes.com. And it was very sad to see it degenerate. It could be that that other forum is not unwise at all to take a hard line on what can be said and what can not. A cannibalistic free for all is not pretty. I think it nearly destroyed this forum once.

Anton! I don't believe I've ever actually 'spoken' to you. But I'm pleased to make your acquaintance. You took a forum that was within an inch of extinction and you've nursed it back to life. The 'quality' his improved measurably from, say, five years ago. It's been a long climb. And you're not finished yet. But you've done well.

"Moderating is an often thankless job and it won't make one many friends aside from the inevitable toadies.
    It can often make some vicious enemies. But, all websites have limits on what is acceptable post behavior. There's always going to be some chucklehead testing the limits. It's not an easy job if you have to do it every day, and it takes a monk's patience at times." --The Aleman.

This is very easy to believe. I'll betcha every moderator knows just what it's like to be reviled for merely trying to do the right thing. Do they also make errors? Probably. And I'll bet they're provoked into making errors regularly. I'm pretty even-keeled. But could I do such a job without ever becoming angry enough to say or do something that, maybe, I shouldn't? I doubt it.

I probably don't have any further points to make. Other than......

Remember, folks, that there's a lot of room for misinterpretation in a conversation that's happening via letters on a screen. As opposed to in person, of course.

We'd probably all be wise, when someone says something that angers us, to chalk it up to misinterpretation and just let it go. I'd bet that we'll be correct in that more often than not.
    Anton likes this.
  15. butterbean

I'm sorry, but I just don't think it's right when someone is trying to instigate you, and the staff don't do anything about it, and when you speak up for yourself and basically just tell that person to leave you alone, and you get in trouble for it. And it's happened to me on multiple occasions. I will not tolerate it anymore. And the reason why this place is dead is because most of the people who are doing really cool **** are sharing it on the other forum and not here. What I basically think of the other forum is for the most part a bunch of politically correct morons all kissing each others asses to make each other feel good. Not saying that's everyone there, but its how the staff are and a lot of members too. I had a certain flag as my avatar and a few members went running to mommy and daddy crying that it offended them, and mommy and daddy went and removed it without my permission, without even talking to me about it and the worst part was that the moderator who pm'd me about it assumed that I did it to purposely offend people, and when I defended myself against that completely inaccurate accusation, I got stonewalled. Total bull ****.
  16. butterbean

Making mistakes is one thing, but repeatedly going out of your way to abuse your authority, violate someone's right to free speech and basically treat them like an ass hole and remain silent when they try to defend themselves because you obviously don't care what they have to say, that's a whole other story. So yeah, **** that place.
  17. 2old2learn

2old2learn Member

The Golden Rule applies well for forum interaction.
  18. Anton

Anton Administrator Staff Member

Thanks bluegoatwoods!

I read a good blog post once which explains why people don't get along on the internet. It makes a good point that all our differences would probably go away if we met up in person. For anyone interested here it is over here:http://markmanson.net/internet
  19. 2old2learn

2old2learn Member

It is hard to know a persons personality through text until you've read a bunch of their writing. While in person we are reading body language and facial expressions to add dimension to what we just heard.

I suspect that this is often the cause of misunderstandings on forums among strangers(people we've never met).

i try to assume that is the case when people try to get under my skin on forums. While there are trolls out their, they generally find out that mature people wont play their games.

Here in the south gentility has been nurtured to prevent street brawls. We tend to be a warrior tribe and therefore bar fights are quite common, but next week their best friends and drinking together.
    Anton likes this.
  20. butterbean

The staff at the other forum ARE the trolls, and they co-conspire with other trolls.