XR-75/Staton NuVinci Build

Okay, This project isn't near finished yet but I have been taking pictures at just about every step of the way. Heres a list of features that are going to be included on this build:
-Mongoose XR-75 dual suspension MTB, aluminum frame, steel rear triangle.
-Staton NuVinci drive with Mitsubishi TLE43 engine, half-lever left hand throttle/killswitch , right side NVshifter. Torsion bars.
-center handlebar mounted digital speedo.
-left handle bar end nashbar convex mirror.
-New aluminum nashbar Jaws pedals.
-double thick and slimed Bell innertubes
-Bell kevlar lined 26x1.75 road tires (thin but should allow this thing to be pedaled if need be.)
-Bottle and cage for extra fuel
-Bell comfort Gel seat (black)
-Finished and painted Staton hardware (gloss black to match rear triangle of bike.)
-Emaxi break levers with internal switches for brake light activation.
-Full lighting to New Hampshire moped standards. Enclosed in a soft (hard lined) black/silver lunchbox to be mounted to the left hand side of the Staton rack opposite the engine.
--55w Halogen headlamp w/ small rectangular enclosure and mounting hardware wired through a very efficient 12v turn dial dimmer switch to adjust brightness.
--A 7 LED taillamp that doubles as a brake light when wired with the Emaxi levers.
--Electrical master on/off switch and 12v battery gauge.
--5ah SLA battery.
--Charger port.
--Possibly an on the move charging system as well as I have a 1200mAh 12v power rectifier that I may be able to hook into a dynamo or DC brushed motor.
-All wires/cables to the staton rack are going to be run down (and through) the center of the frame and will be wrapped in spiral casing and zip tied clean and secure.

I would have this beast finished but I'm still waiting for the weather to get nice (clear and over 50F) so I can prime and paint the staton rack to match the bike. I've already done a lot of grinding and rounding to make the staton kit not appear as chunky. I have to say though this thing is rock solid. I've already mocked everything up and it should all fit together nicely. So here are the pictures. I have tons more but I've had to do the steps all out of order as I got the chance to do them so it would be more confusing to you folks than its worth.

Pic1: The mongoose last summer after a muddy thrillride down a trail near my house.
Pic2: Mongoose with NuVinci installed and cables run, torsion straps are backwards (was just measuring at the time) and heavy duty pedal chain.
Pic3: NuVinci out of the box.
Pic4: Mocked up rack to make sure everything would fit and work well.
Pic5: Cooler electrical box. Front pocket (with penguin) has the dimmer, switch and battery gauge mounted into plastic underneath. Unfinished.

Attachments

• P5230125.jpg
    P5230125.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 3,284
  • P2110074.jpg
    P2110074.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 4,630
  • P1280021.jpg
    P1280021.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 2,794
  • P204005g9.jpg
    P204005g9.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 4,767
  • P2090065.jpg
    P2090065.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 2,598
Last edited by a moderator:
That last picture of the complete bike was before I took the rack apart to do the finishing touches on it. Can't wait for the good weather.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very impressive!

I wonder if that fork had more of a slant in it... would there be a benefit to having the NuVinci on the front? I guess I'm asking would a 2-wheel drive benefit more than a 1-wheel drive??

Comfortable

It will be a comfortable ride with the dual suspension and it looks rock solid but will you have mudguards to keep yourself clean and dry and high rise bars so you can sit more upright. I get a sore neck if I ride a motorised bike leaning forward. I have a Mongoose NX7 MTB which has a similar riding position to yours and it's not motorised so I don't get sore pedalling but a motorised bike calls for more upright posture I find. It will come up really great when you paint the new engine struts.

Back