XS650 bobber progress

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cory, Feb 6, 2009.

1. cory

cory Guest

After installing motor pounded out fender struts and a seat pan, making all related hardware from bits and pieces laying around the shop. Don't through away your end cuts!:tt1:

Attached Files:

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Looks to me like you're doing just fine.

Keep us posted.

3. cory

cory Guest

More pics

More pics

Attached Files:

4. cory

cory Guest

more pics

more pics

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2009
  5. cory

cory Guest

Battery pan installed

Used a piece of 11 gauge and cut a battery pan out today. Tack welded 4 corners then heated and persuaded sheet to line up with structural tubing then stitch weld 1 1/2 sections alternating positions to respect the heat transfer God. :sweatdrop:

Attached Files:

6. bill green

bill green Member

cory I like your sickness.......Bill

7. cory

cory Guest

Battery box

And Thanks Bill, me too.:ack2: Made a battery box using the same piece of 11 guage sheet metal Ive been cutting off of for everything els. Wasnt easy, had to use a hand held jigsaw to cut the pieces. This will be one of the items Ill be using my little powder coater for.:evilgrin:

Attached Files:

8. cory

cory Guest

Seat off for leather

Curved seat just a bit more before sending off to be covered. Battery box done.

Attached Files:

9. bill green

bill green Member

My My My I think you found the artist...only one thing to say (ollie O and way to go Bro) Now thats A Bro job....LOL.. Looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..Bill

10. cory

cory Guest

seat pattern

WOW!, Thanks Bill. Seat pattern. Seat will be colored burnt orange in the center to black around seams

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
  11. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Are you a Cav guy?

In any event, with 11 ga, that battery box will be ****-bent-for strong. You do nice work. I apreeciate the updates.

12. cory

cory Guest

You bet

Hey you bet, miss building whizzers, the motors weigh less: sweatdrop: Ill keep updating, caught the bug here on this sight and even though not to many people seem to be interested there are some two wheel die hards out there willing to look at it.:grin5: By the way I think I remember your build a feeling a little jealous at the time. You also do outstanding, detailed work. The '71' turned out wonderful!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
  13. cory

cory Guest

Mounting fake oil bag

Used a large 1HP electric motor housing with some slight modifications as a fake oil bag to stow away electrical. This bike is all electronic ignition, no points so it has a TCI box. :grin5:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2009
  14. gordonscott

gordonscott New Member

650 build

Hi Cory, nice job on the xs lookin real good :cool: do you post on any of the xs boards? I go under "greatscott" on the 650motorcycles site and "scottfree" on the xs garage, maybe we already know eachother? http://mysite.verizon.net/reszw9bp/

15. cory

cory Guest

Not sure

I'm on (The Chopper Underground, or TCU) and chopperfix its sister site. Started out on 650 Rider but not too many chops on that site, although they were extremely helpful when coming to my chopper wiring of the original harness. No I'm just mostly hangin out with the chopperheads.:grin5: Check out TCU if you want to see some serious fabrication. Allot of the guys build there on frames or hard tail original frames. Thanks for the atta boy!!:grin5:

16. bill green

bill green Member

HI cory great place for stash or any hiden electrical................Bill

17. cory

cory Guest

Ill keep it clean

:whistling:Well if ya talked to me about 20 or so years ago I would have things, stuff to put in that bag but these days maybe just a trail bar or a roll of TP.:jester:

18. cory

cory Guest

More wiring

Had presidents day off and decided to start mounting electrical components inside my fake oil bag. The rectifier has a tendency to get hot so made a stand up threaded bracket on one of the end caps. The igniter box I bracketed on the opposite end and the rest of the spaghetti chopper wiring will be shoved down toward the igniter that doesnt get hot. Luckily this electrical motor housing already came with vent holes so didn't have to cut those. Rock on chop troops!!:grin5:

Attached Files:

19. bill green

bill green Member

Hi Cory its been 30 years for me but its still A good place to hide the big uglys...Hahaha..Bill

20. cory

cory Guest

Wiring harness

Getting my spaghetti chopper wiring sorted out and bundled for storage in the fake oil bag. Made this harness from the stock harness on the xs650, it was run and proofed before final soldering and shortening.

Attached Files: