Yard Sales

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Happy Valley, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

My wife makes the rounds most weeks but Saturday we decided to go together, out early before it got hot, probably hit 20 or so. Yup, that's about the ratio I concluded, 20:1 to find much in the way of good stuff and the reason I don't go with her more often, lol.

Yesterday however was good, the last stop was a nice couple, moving out west selling everything. I've made a habit of asking, "got any bikes"? usually they say no, but this guy said 'oh, I almost forgot" and took me into his garage. Sometimes it's good to remember to ask if you're looking for something specific.

MB3 x 2.JPG

Identical Bridgestone MB3's, Richey Logic cromoly lugged frames, Shimano XT components, Mavic rims.
    One owner, the guy bought the pair new in '89 and had been big into mountain biking but had an auto accident later so he said he stopped riding. Asked $50 for the pair and took $40 ;-)

On the way out putting them in the car his wife came up and said maybe I'd like the paperwork she had found cleaning out the house and was going to throw away....owners manuals, spec sheets and the original sales receipt, lol!

Hooboy, more bikes, now I can look forward to putting about a hundred hours into refurbishing them, lol.

2. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Heck of a good deal there.
  3. happycheapskate

happycheapskate Active Member

Refurbish them? Nah, put statons on them and keep them for the future gasoline price wars.
  4. happycheapskate

That's great. I like looking in classifieds, and dumpsters. Garage sales usually don't have much to offer, and are time consuming, but it's something fun to do on your motor bicycle (visiting garage sales like a bee pollenating flowers).

In East Texas we have Canton Trade Days, and many towns have swap meets and giant group sales (aka flea markets).

If you stock up on good bikes bought on the cheap, maybe you can profit by selling them at flea markets or work-from-home , selling them as ready to ride bikes.

I got a Walmart road bike for $20, and spent $40 on stem and bars, $30 on shifters, $50 on tires, and $20 for a seat. My wife said WHY did I spend so much on a "cheap bike", but I explained the gainful purchase let me set it up really comfortably for serious use, and $160 was still way cheaper than a lot of new road bikes.

5. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Might do both, lol. At least the refurbishing is done, BB, headset, hubs, all now with loose ball, brakes, shifters completely gone over, dérailleurs overhauled, wheels trued, everything washed, lubed and waxed, lol.

RE MB3s.jpg

I tend to gravitate toward rehabbing mid "80s to mid '90s chromoly mountain bikes, love the vintage (Tom Ritchey was a genius) Bridgestones, Dbacks, Specialized Stumpjumpers, etc. but next up for rehab is a 1980 Schwinn Le Tour. Yard sale price: $5, lol.

80 le tour.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2015
  6. happycheapskate

Steel is Real! :grin5:

Yeah, $5 for a decent bike is a heck of a deal! I think a lot of used bikes like you describe are better or at least equal to a lot of the $200 and 300 bikes sold in shops. At garage sale prices, it is much easier to have multiple bikes and customize them with seats and handlebars to one's liking. Also, if you keep a cheap bike in your car or truck, you won't be stranded if your phone is dead, your car is dead, and no one stops to help.
  7. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Member

Dude you are sitting on a small fortune with those Stones you can get a serious nice dollar for them good score