Yes, JB weld..................

geebt48cc

Local time
9:57 AM
I've found that JB only will work OK???????????????????

HEAT: NO

...........but usual, (Strong) it's good.....................:cool:

Glen

are you drunk?? you talking like your 3 years old or just snorted 2 lines of powder mixed with a bottle of jack daniels

jb weld is nothing more than epoxy.
It doesn't hold up well when exposed to gasoline or heat.

jb weld is nothing more than epoxy.
It doesn't hold up well when exposed to gasoline or heat.

It has hold up just fine to gasoline and areas in the engine where temps get fairly warm but not too hot.

Here are some items I've had experience JB welding with good success.

1. Lycoming T55-712 engine case (was leaking oil, stopped drilled crack, and JB welded...engine was just find until it was overhauled several years later). It was an illegal repair but got me unstranded from the middle of no where.

2. Racor fuel filter head bowl. I broke the drain on the fuel bowl so plugged the drain hole with JB weld. I mixed it with shredded fiberglass and microballons to thicken it up.

3. Radiator(s). Can't count how many radiators I've sealed up with this stuff. It works great and has saved me hundreds of dollars.

4. Intercooler leaks: 2 so far with great success....about 150-200 bucks in savings for each repair.

5. HT fuel tanks. I sand and JB weld stud mount areas because a fair amount of tanks will leak thru this area.

6. Engine stud mounting holes on HT engine. I never worry about my replacement studs backing out. I JB weld upgraded studs into each new build.

7. Head gasket reuse don't recommend this unless you are a cheap *******. I had to pull a head on an old Nissan and I wanted to reuse the headgasket. The vehicle wasn't worth spending money on. I put a thin coat of JB weld on both sides of the head gasket and the vehicle is still on the road today, 8 years later with over 250k miles on the engine. I had no intent of ever tearing the engine apart and felt comfortable with this job.

Last edited:
It has hold up just fine to gasoline and areas in the engine where temps get fairly warm but not too hot.

Here are some items I've had experience JB welding with good success.
7. Head gasket reuse don't recommend this unless you are a cheap *******. I had to pull a head on an old Nissan and I wanted to reuse the headgasket. The vehicle wasn't worth spending money on. I put a thin coat of JB weld on both sides of the head gasket and the vehicle is still on the road today, 8 years later with over 250k miles on the engine. I had no intent of ever tearing the engine apart and felt comfortable with this job.

LOL I'd hate to even think about pulling the head.

Attachments

• shade.jpg
    shade.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 853
i don't know.....jb weld is epoxy and it's just a band-aid fix.
BUT, I can understand wanting to try it to save $$.
but on the other hand, if it doesn't work, or if it fails, you end up doing the same job twice to fix it right.
in my opinion, it's only good for areas with very little stress, very little heat and no exposure to gasoline.
Yes, gasoline will deteriorate jb weld over time, no matter what the tube says.
I have seen it happen.
I've also seen how heat will make it weak and flake off.
but on the other hand i have seen it used, drilled and tapped to accept a bolt without failure. the difference is that this area was not anywhere near heat, fuel or oil.
I supposed it can work in certain instances, and if the mixture is right.
too much hardener and it will be brittle.
not enough hardner and it will be soft and never fully cure.

I personally do not like to use it for anything because i like to FIX things, not put a band-aid on them, and I hate to fix the same thing twice because of a failed band-aid fix.
Just my opinion.

I want to be a fly on the wall in the garage or workshop where some poor schmuck tries to remove the cylinder head from that old Nissan.

Being privy to listen in on the the caustic and colourful language being sprayed from vocal cords in an acute state of shambolic distress would be priceless!

i used to epoxy spark plugs in when someone bought me a stripped engine.... one was so bad that they had stripped it, tapped it out to an old model a ford size plug, then stripped that! those plugs are huge! (and where and how they got the tap and plug in the first place... but iunno. it was third hand at least by then...)

but....

tapping oversize, or helicoils for threads that are stripped, or in all threads for racing engines that get torn down a lot.

an AC tig welder for doing aluminium welding.

and only ever have epoxy for emergencies or model aeroplanes...

never seen jb weld. an idea of what it is, the epoxy putty stuff. and i wouldnt use it for anything but an emergency. like holts tyre repair. the stuff in a can for blowouts. a great thing in the middle of nowhere with no choice, but not permanent.

cant say i stock either really...

theres better adhesives available than epoxy. and with, as mentioned, microballoons and fibreglass... you just have to plan what youre doing very carefully and be careful! (microballons are supposedly carcinogenic or summink?)

Back