yet another clutch question

wanttogoback

Local time
5:06 AM
FRUSTRATED!!! Brand new engine, cannot adjust clutch where it won't slip. Engine might turn a couple times then clutch starts slipping. Only a few of the pads had any spots that appear to be making contact. Cleaned everything w/brake cleaner. thinned up the edge of the pads w/a razor. Tightened nut to the point where the arm was almost below the carb. Even after that and a few spins of the tire, only a few of pads have any marks on them where they look to be making contact.

not all pads are created equal - it is common for just a few pads to make contact until they get a chance to wear the high spots off and spread the load a bit better - I usually just adjust the clutch a bit too tight for a while till they start to wear a bit, then do a proper adjustment - welcome to Chinese quality control

sounds reasonable but how do I actually wear them down when I can't get it to disengage so the engine will actually start? I've tightened it all the way with no result?

are you sure that nothing is holding the plate out a bit, never seen one that couldn't be tightened enough to grab on just a few pads

are you sure that nothing is holding the plate out a bit, never seen one that couldn't be tightened enough to grab on just a few pads

It looks like four pads are touching (the others are all clean and red/orange), but even those 4 have limited dark spots on them. Only one really has a clear mark where you can tell it is clearly rubbing on one side. Appreciate any help.

well, if you take the flower nut completely off, and make sure there is slack in the cable, and it still doesn't grab, then you could search here on this board for instructions about adjusting the internal spring on the clutch - but I'm still thinking something is stuck somewhere

So long as the flower nut is adjusted correctly on the clutch, it will take around 60 miles for all of the clutch pads to wear-in. Even so, (from brand new) you should experience excessive clutch slip when the flower nut is correctly adjusted.

So long as the flower nut is adjusted correctly on the clutch, it will take around 60 miles for all of the clutch pads to wear-in. Even so, (from brand new) you should experience excessive clutch slip when the flower nut is correctly adjusted.

I got that issue resolved. There was another posting where the poster advised to hit the outside clutch plate w/a hammer. Did that a few times and now the clutch works fine. Evidently where the flower nut tightens wasn't far enough out away from the clutch. Now the engine turns over fine but the darn thing only sparks intermittently. It might spark for a few turns and I put the plug back in the bike and nothing. Pull it out an no spark. Tested it by taking plug out and holding it against the case while pedaling the bike by hand on a stand. Cut the spark plug wire on both ends and re screwed it in, but can't get a consistent spark. Going to try a new plug tonight (broke the mowers taking it out so I have to get one anyway). Any suggestions on this front are appreciated.

the plug may be fouled up inside and leaking the spark down the insulator rather than throwing it across the gap - a new plug may fix that

also, some bikes are geared such that they turn the engine a bit too slowly to get a good spark, turn it as fast as possible

Back