Yet Another HF Engine To Consider

Nuttsy

Local time
5:55 AM
Hey all,
I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this Harbor Freight generator. 2 cycle, 2 hp, 63cc engine. Oooooh! and a 1 Gal. (US) fuel tank!
Looks to be a horizontal cyl. from the manual.I'm most curious about the driveshaft and mounting. I just got a coupon for 20% off and the flyer price is $89.99. Actually, I got a crud-load of 20% coupons. Went dumpster diving since the coupon is good 'till Dec. 31!
Well, it looks like I'm headed to Harbor Freight tomorrow to check it out. Heck, I'd rather have a small generator at the ready instead of a post hole digger!
Nutz
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66619

Last edited:
Negatory good buddy.....

These 2 stroke generators are Chinese clones of a Yamaha ET950 generator. I own a couple, and while they are a great little genny for keeping a small fridge going during a power outage, or for camping - the engine isn't easily adaptable for other uses. Take a look at one in the store an you'll see that part of the generator housing is one half of the engine case. The output shaft is tapered, and the engine has a cast iron cylinder. (not just a steel liner, but the whole damm thing is cast iron!) making it pretty heavy.

If you want a small, cheap generator, I would get one. Who knows if they'll be available after 2010 when the new emissions standards kick in. For a bicycle engine, it is probably impractical. (too bad, as it is a reed induction engine)

Come to think of it, I wonder if other HF engines will be available after 2010..............

I have one also, and they are about only as good, as what they are made for. I agree with all of above. I use mine in my boat. Keep in mind that they will weigh in at 50#, that is about 30#'s more then a HT.

Attachments

• Behind truck.jpg
    Behind truck.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
They're heavy little generators, that's for sure. Mount on on a little trailer, and use it to keep the batteries charged on an EBike. It would solve the range issue, and you could use a small battery pack.

There's also at least one variant (Northern Hydraulic version, I believe) which also has a 12V outlet, which could be used to power a higher wattage lighting system...

Last edited:
Yeah,
Arcee is right. I looked at one and the gen. hoursing/mount IS in fact the one side of the casing. Rats! It looked like a Cag engine too which I've heard have some decent power to them. And yeah, It was a heavy bugger albeit with the generator attached.
NoGo for this one.

Back