YO! Saturnalia!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by suspect, Dec 24, 2009.

1. suspect

suspect Member

There is no evidence scripturally or secularly that early Christians in the first century commemorated the birth of Jesus Christ. In fact, in keeping with early Jewish law and tradition, it is likely that birthdays were not commemorated at all. According to The World Book Encyclopedia: "early Christians considered the celebration of anyone's birth to be a pagan custom." (Vol. 3, page 416) Rather than commemorating his birth, the only command Jesus gave concerning any sort of commemoration of his life actually had only to do with his death (Luke 22:19). It was not until several hundred years after the death of Jesus Christ that the first instances of the celebration of Christmas begin to appear in the historical record. According to the new Encyclopedia Britannica, some who later claimed to be Christian likely "wished the date to coincide with the pagan Roman festival marking the 'birthday of the unconquered sun'." The festival was celebrated with similar customs (gift giving, feasting) that are done to celebrate Christmas today.

celebrate yule, saturnalia, hogswatch, but tell christians everywhere to **** RIGHT OFF.

[​IMG]

2. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Don't give this idiot any credence. Just don't respond. The thread will die.

3. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

it was actually the Emperor Constantine that did it...

dont be a **** dude... MERRY CHRISTMAS

4. suspect

suspect Member

dont give me any credence? haha, moron, i didnt write that, its fact, and no it wasnt constantine dip****, hes the one who compiled the bible, created it, made it, all but wrote it.

saturnalia was an old festival long before constantine was around, its commonly known that christmas and easter are pagan holidays with an overlay of christian nonsense.

5. give me vtec

d*** you are pretty dense aren't you??? Constantine is the one that declared that the Roman Holiday was to be changed to a Christian holiday. Go read a book.

6. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Vtec, this idiot is just a rabble rouser and trouble maker in any thread that he gets in. Just ignore him. He's not worth the effort.

7. give me vtec

sure he is... this is an easy target.

8. kerf

kerf Guest

vtec,

Play with someone else but PLEASE DON"T FEED THE TROLL.

9. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

But kerf....Trolls need love to!

10. kerf

kerf Guest

NOT THIS ONE!

11. suspect

suspect Member

uh... so if thats all youre saying, why say it at all? 'constantine did it' doesnt really explain anything, doesnt contradict my point, aand is obviously misleading(if not completely inaccurate) as far as its origins as a holiday go, constantine wouldnt have 'declared' anything had not he needed to.

doesnt detract from my point in any way of course, that is that christmas isnt really a christian holiday, it was just made up to make pagans appear christian.

like easter.

and you christan nuts shouldnt be celebrating it.

12. give me vtec

it doesn't sound like you know anything about this time period or the political climate related to this event... other than of coarse the completely irrelevant op.

Ill tell you what... go read a couple books on the subject and bring yourself up to my level and I will continue this conversation with you...

13. give me vtec

I said Constantine did it because you made it sound like all the Christians in the world got together and stole some little kids holiday just to be a d i c k... None of us had anything to do with it... even if we wanted to.

The reality is that the Roman conversion to Christianity did more to help the people of the empire than reclaiming this previously insignificant holiday ever hurt.... let me give you some advice, don't be ignorant and spout garbage you picked up on some obscure atheist website; you just look stupid. Do the research into the subject and make the decision for yourself... its called intelligence and it seems to be something kiwi's dont have.

14. SimpleSimon

Nothing like a blatant over generalization to prove your own. Ever heard of Ernest Rutherford?

15. give me vtec

right... way to put the kiwi punk up there with Max Plank, Einstein, and Earnst Rutherford.

Come on Simon.... just because you are both GOD haters doesn't mean you need to side with garbage.

16. SimpleSimon

Delusional liar.

I responded to your claim that intelligence is something kiwis (a generic term for ALL New Zealanders) were lacking in intelligence. I said nothing at all regarding the intelligence of suspect.

Learn the meaning of words, fool. "God hater" would be an atheist. I, however, am an agnostic.

17. give me vtec

ahhhhh... got you again. It works every time. I am starting to feel like you are my grandpa or something....

18. give me vtec

... wanna pull my finger???

19. give me vtec

...and my poke at the kiwi was just another jab in anticipation of a long bout.

Come on Simon... Go take zevo's test again and lighten up a little... you people w/out GOD have absolutely no sense of humor.

20. SimpleSimon

Whilst some of you with god have no grasp of reality. Some do, and some even exemplify to a fair degree the characteristics of a true believer and follower of their "savior". Mostly pretty decent folks. You, however, fail of that measure most abysmally.