Your Career (and my rant haha)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ordinary.Squid., Nov 11, 2009.

1. Ordinary.Squid.

Ordinary.Squid. New Member

Well im in my senior year of high school, and i have no idea what im gonna do. I get good grades and have good SAT scores. i know im going to college and going to major in physics (by far my favorite subject) but i have no idea what im going to do afterwords. My parents are pushing for me to be a doctor, but i know im not going to be happy and i have no will power to memorize facts the rest of my life (Even if the $$ is good). If i major in physics theres not much else that i can think of except a physics teacher.

... Sorry if im ranting a little bit but anyway my question to everyone is how did you end up in your current career? and if you need to let some steam off about your job feel free :grin5:

2. Chris Crew

Chris Crew Member

Easy there, Squid--one step at a time.

There are many applications for physics--as you complete the undergrad work, you may find yourself drawn to geology, engineering, or myriad other fields that have to do with counting and measuring things.

In my family, my brother was to be the doctor and I was to be the lawyer---I even have a copy of a book on the Watergate Conspircy by Sam J. Ervin inscribed by the Senator himself "best of luck in your career in law."

My brother (a chemistry major) is now a well-paid musician writing movie music, and I (after an English degree and forays into professional music and theatre, financial consulting and construction) am an Emergency Manager serving my state as the State Hazard Mitigation Officer--one of 56 in the nation.

My friends who are Doctors, Lawyers, Musicians and Preachers all have something in common--a passion for what they do--the ARE doctors, lawyers and preachers. If you are heading toward one of those types of careers, the job better be who you are, because that's about all you will be doing for most of the next 25 or so years.

The other option is to figure out what kinds of things you like to do and apply some of those skills to the work. I was able to think, read and interpret regulations, count money, and I know how buildings are made--those skills found me a job reducing the impacts of natural hazards on my home state.

The advice I gave my own kids (both in college now) was to spend the first year or two finding out what you like, then figure out what you want to do with it.

Good luck.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  3. safe

safe Active Member

You have a "Golden Ticket" to the future.

At your age you don't always realize this, but as you get older you realize that's it's not so much that people don't "like" math and physics, but their brains are too weak to do it. If you have the brains you have the path to whatever you want in a career. You can venture where others fear to tread. (and get paid for it) :grin5:

Drop the doctor stuff... that's for people that like to be socializing all the time and be close and intimate. (it's a soap opera compared to technical careers) Lot's of touchy feely all the time.

Relax... choose math / physics for now... and don't worry about the specifics of what will happen... trust that having a brain will pull your though. It will.

I got one BS in the Physical Sciences and later another in Computer Science and life went really easy for me. :cool: I basically "retired" in 2001 and I do technical stuff here because I still think it's fun as a hobby. If you like technical stuff as a hobby then working in it is like having satisfaction every day of your life.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  4. Ordinary.Squid.

Ordinary.Squid. New Member

thanks for the advice. i figure ill just take it one step at a time and itll all work out
  5. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

My advice... Take the Med school.... Will come in handy when you have to skin and gut your own food! Making this non-partisan statement, I don't feel I've violated the boards rules or given this young lad bad advice...

What may seem like a barbaric way of life now, will become everyday life in the future...

If you know how to hunt and fish already??? You like science??? Go the other way! All of us are giving you excellent advice!
  6. safe

safe Active Member

Nuclear Armageddon might be in the future (or might not) but even if so there would be a need to repair all the machines and get things going again afterwards. (too many of these 2012 movies and shows these days) Even after a nightmare scenario the math skills will help to rebuild society.

Kinda being tough on the kid huh?

Let him enjoy his career rather than live a life he doesn't want.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  7. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

The nice thing is, even if you want to be a physician, that's over 4 years away. Take all the math and science you can in the first year of college and learn whatever you can about the different professions you are considering. You can always change majors and pretty much anything you take in the first year and most of the second can be used towards any science-based degree. If not, well, an extra class or two isn't going to kill you.

However, whateve you choose, make sure it's what you want to do, not someone else's vision for you.

Good luck!

-James "4 years of college, 3 years of law school and still trying to figure it all out" Hough
  8. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

You mean you have people to answer to Hough??? LOL!

I was running a machine at work that literally blew up because they had been neglecting to maintain it... The Plant mannager came out, hopping up and down on 1 foot on my job, yelling, "When my boss finds out". I stopped him mid scentence by breathing in real hard,(sarcastically), HuHaaaaa, and said, "You GOT A BOSS"? He flipped his wig swearing and flung his clipboard as he stormed into the office... My co-workers were laughing so hard they couldn't work... Even he came out of the office latter laughing and apollogized to us...

Hough gives good advice, you never know where you'll find yourself and odds are, you'll always have somebody to answer too!
  9. scabz24

scabz24 New Member

think of the thing you like to do most,find a way to make a living at it no matter how much you make,if you do some thing you take pride in and have a passion for things will workout.If you can do something you love to do and pay the bills at the same will die a happy man.
  10. safe

safe Active Member

Seek the jobs that you can handle, but cause others "pain".

Mental jobs can make the weaker minds suffer and the pain will make them quit. There are a lot of "sort of technical" jobs that are really just manual labor and those can be a trap that you never get out of. (working in some factory is probably going to be a dead end) Look for the opportunities as they pop up. When times are good seek advancement, but when times are bad do what you can just to keep your job. Always save a lot because that gives you protection from lean times. (don't be the fool that lives paycheck to paycheck)

You are basically trying to find jobs that are so complex, nasty and painful to others that they gratefully turn it over to you so that you can do it. Since the employer does not want to do the work and it's hard to find a replacement for your skills they have to pay well.

The biggest mistake that young people make in the workforce is thinking there is some sort of "social justice" in the world. The sooner you lose that the better adjusted to reality you will become. Just treat every situation as unique and exploit all the advantages you can. Watch for intrigues as they are everywhere.

In the end work is a "game" and you should approach it like you would playing Monopoly or any other game... play fair, but play to win.

Lastly... and I've seen this more than once now... prepare to imagine the "unthinkable". So many times things happen that seem so cruel, distorted and messed up that your mind has a hard time getting around how evil it is. If you can stretch your mind to get around the evil and understand it's causes and effects then you have an enormous advantage over others. Most people live their lives more or less at face value accepting whatever "truth" the media wants to feed you. If you can somehow get your head outside the mainstream and see the world clearly then that's simply going to allow you to "get out of the way of a runaway bus" if it's coming at you.

We've gone through the bubble, the housing bubble and now are in a government bubble so you need to use this knowledge to your advantage. Figure out how a government bubble will produce effects down the road and plot your life strategy around that. (things like inflation, distortions in the distribution of the workforce, future government cuts, etc) If you start now with the idea that government jobs are the answer you might find that when things go bankrupt that those jobs are not there when you are finally ready.

You sort of need to trust your instincts...
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009