Your MB vs insane gas prices

Wheres my dog

Local time
6:07 PM
Sure everyone has heard by the summer we will be seeing well past $4 a gallon, most likely $5 a gallon or higher for gas...

Anyone thinking of converting over to using their MB full time, or even a great deal more?

I know there are a few factors here such as theft, distance, weather, laws, and such that makes everyone's situation different...

In my case... I work 3 days a week and each way is 23 miles which totals out to 138 miles driven to and from work. I average right about 20mpg for the trip which comes out to 6.9 gallons.

~7 gallons times $5 a gallon is $35.... My GIANT GEBE is getting right about 140 miles to the gallon which makes this a $30 a week savings just in fuel, or $120 a month savings.

Anyone switch over and what is your savings?

Anyone going to switch over, and at what price point?

Anyone love their MB but just can't cummute with it?

I'm not working anymore so commuting isn't a factor but I could possibly never own another cage for the rest of my life...

I have three mb's and I can't see them as being my only mode of transportation....even if gas goes to $10.00 a gallon and insurance is $200.00 a month.

well this is something like i was thinking im gonna half to do something cause i work on call so thet call me when i dont have the money to do much and gas hit 350 a gallon here in sikeston mo and i work in new madrid 25 miles away so im parking my van and rideing to things in town on my motor bike and just use the van when i go to work or when raining real hard there is no reason for oil prices this dam high i dont care what is happening in the middle east

Ah..but you weren't forced off the road 16 years ago for non-payment of child support for your ex-wife's illigetimate child. I refuse to pay their blackmail and have never given them a volintary cent. They've had to grab money whenever I worked and now they can't touch my SSI:devilish:

well you dave are a special case people who build these for fun would never consider using for actuall transportation like us they got money for this expensive *** gas i got lucky and got me a couple of gallons before it went back up again yesterday i paid 319 for it now it is 350 price gouging at it's worst

I'm betting it doesn't stop until $4.50 a gallon and in Canada and Europe, better invest in a oil well :p

I hear gas prices are lowest in Venezuala, might be cheaper to fill a 55 gallon barrel and have it shipped here :/

transportation Vs. "fun"

The main reason I put this bike together is that I have problems getting around the burbs here in Oregon. In this part of town the roads are not designed for bicycling and I am a bit out of shape. Back when I lived in Portland I did not really need a motor bicycle because the blocks were all 500 yards long and the main city was built for trolleys. this made going by bus a workable solution.

I live right next to the local light rail(about a mile away), But if I want to go someplace that is not on the line than I have to go for miles to get some place. Its faster for me to take the train to Portland to get to the pharmacy than it is to get to local one in Beaverton. If I take my motor bicycle I get there faster and I can do it on my own time. I also don't have to worry if the guy next to me has a cold and wont cover his mouth if he coughs.

Even in a bike "friendly" town like Beaverton OR I use my motor bicycle as my main transport.

Mike

now thats what we like to here you go mike i went and bought me a super heavy duty chain and master lock by guardian secuirty they cut and steal it covered our walmart is 3 miles away not very far just rite for a 2 stroke and our store are scattered all over town so i can ride to get to all of this stuff this is a motorbike friendly town almost everybody owns a motorcycle here so i fit rite in with everybody else

Today it cost me $3.39 a gal. for gas. I've put 5000 miles on a GEBE setup and 18000 miles on a Staton chain drive. I've gone 260 miles in a day with a Tanaka 40 cc and the Staton. So I know for a fact that I can live without a gas guzzling car. Let them raise it all they want. It will make our motored bikes more valuable. On the down side it will still cause massive inflation and stall any chance of an economic recovery. Remember the gas rationing of the 70's?
I do, and I"m gonna be prepared if it happens again.

Back