Your MB vs insane gas prices

I am seriously contemplating getting a GEBE system with a EHO35 4-stroke for reliability reasons. I do not believe that I can trust my cheapo ChinaGirl to reliably take me to and from work day in and day out. Work is 11.6 miles one way by the freeway rout, I don't know how far by the street rout. I cannot afford $4.00 a gallon gas in my truck for sure, and I really don't want to pour that kind of money in my car either; and we are not too far away from the $4 mark right now.

Last edited:
I don't use my bikes for anything other than just riding around for fun and taking them to car shows. I only have my bikes out in the summer, and gas prices don't bother me at all.
now my car on the other hand, gets about 8 mpg, and even that won't stop me from driving it this summer to car shows and around town for fun.
right now gas is about $3.50 a gallon here, and a few years ago when it hit almost $5.00 a gallon, it didn't stop me.

you have to realize that we NEED gasoline and there's nothign you can do to stop them from setting the gas prices as high as they want.

Last edited:
NOT ME ! I'll continue to drive my V-8's. There are 2 kinds of bike/motorcycle riders. Those that have fallen and those that are going to. Any typical 4 wheel configured car is safer than any 2 wheel bike. Can't get safety and mileage all in the same package. The more you ride a bike, the more your chances are of crashing it. But hey, everybody has their own opinion. As long as I can afford it, I'm going for the comfort factor !
PS
I know where your dog is !

Last edited:
My local petrol station is selling unleaded for 128.9p a litre.
So one US gallon costs £4.87 or $7.92.
Camerooooon is inflicting a new budget in April so it'll be rising again soon.

I would use my MB but seeing as they're illegal I'm either cycling or getting 60mpg in my car. I'm seriously looking into getting my MB registered though.

Last edited by a moderator:
you have to realize that we NEED gasoline and there's nothign you can do to stop them from setting the gas prices as high as they want.
__________________well there is no need of putting your whole check in the gas tank now is there ther is no sensible reason that gas should sky rocket just cause people are freaking greedy gas companies already said back before christmas they were gonna raise the price of crude to well over a hundred dollars a barrel and i believe they had last i looked today 109 a barrel easy that was at opening bell and pork chop you gotta watch yourself no expect them to watch you safety is not a accident like osha says . and im very careful how and where and when like the cops told me when i started riding thesse dont assune they see you assume they dont see you and you will live another day another wors expect the best and prepare for the worst and murphy love motor bikes by the way.

I could live without a car. I've even been tempted. I'm afraid I'd lose my wife, though.

She'd certainly make me pay a high price for it.

But it doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing situation, anyway. When fuel hit $4.50 or so a couple of years back I simply rode my pedal bike and my MB more and drove my car less. I felt good, my car had less wear and tear and even those high gas prices didn't destroy my budget. And the best thing of all was that there was a lot more bicycles, mopeds, etc on the road that summer. I loved it. I was saddened when the price of fuel bottomed out that winter.

For entirely personal reasons I like seeing the price of gas climb. Though I am well aware that too high would likely devastate our fragile economy.

But you know what? I suspect that our society could adjust itself to high fuel prices and benefit from doing so. It didn't work out in 2008 simply because it didn't last long enough. As long as it doesn't go too high too fast, then I think it might just be a good thing.

im with you me and my wife both ride bikes i have the motor bike cause i got licences and i got 2 motorbkes but the car is so much easier to deal with but im not getting rid of car i just use the car to go work 25 miles away one way and use motorbike the rest of time but when car does break down motor bikes come in handy i cant afford to put car in shop so i gotta fix it my self and it takes me a little time to do it so no worries and i would take my motorbike to work if need be.

Yes, that part about getting to work could be the problem, couldn't it? It's great that you're willing to do it, of course. But it's not likely to be practical every day of the year.

That would be one big problem if our society had to cut personal consumption of gasoline by, let's say, 60%; people would have to live much closer to their jobs than they do now.
And that adjustment would be very difficult.

Let's hope that if fuel prices must rise (I suspect that they really must, for one reason or another), then it will at least be fairly slow and not very steep. The strain of a fast climb might break our economy.

Let's hope our leaders are putting some responsible thought into this question.

In canada its already $1.25 a liter (4.74 US Gallon) a liter and there saying it might go to $1.50+ a liter ($5.67 US Gallon). And Europeans got it even worse.

You Yanks should consider yourselves lucky. They pretty much give gas away in the US.

I've spent the last nine months taking the bus to work as I pay off a car repair. Had a few weeks of commuting on the MB before the frame cracked :( but once I have enough for a new frame, I will be rebuilding the bike and commuting a great deal with it. It's 30 miles round trip to work. Yes, a car is a safer vehicle, but I've picked a decently safe route to work-- bike/bus lanes and such for a great deal of it.

Back