youtube video of the gas/electric

Discussion in 'Electric Bicycles' started by professor, Apr 5, 2010.

1. professor

professor Active Member

Did this the other day, we suddenly got some great weather-

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015

2. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

looks real good

3. Gh0stRider

Gh0stRider Banned

Very stealth. Too bad your local laws made you go to those extremes. You score some major points for creativity professor!

4. graucho

graucho Active Member

Great bike...um wait... hybrid you built professor!

5. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

I like it. That was a lot of work. :sweatdrop:

6. thine82

thine82 Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C3h9VojLxo my homemade exhaust.. you can hear it at the same point as the car near the trees it passes.. good but i am going to shoot for silent next...i will be trying a tiny car muffler.. 6 inches wide by twelve inches long and yes i will be keeping the stock exhaust pipe also

7. reddbak

reddbak Guest

Well done Prof, dig the concealment of the gas motor. Mind telling me what amp/hour the 12V batteries are?

8. professor

professor Active Member

Sure Red, these are 9ah, they came from some 110 back-up system for computers, I think that in order to keep the batteries at full charge, the rpm of the gas engine will need to be higher during cruise. But I like the low noise level (comparitively) the way I am doing it.
    And Thine,the more muffling- the better, and the longer the whole system- the better. My first muffler is a self- built glass lined deal that is not straight thru, and the little 3 1/2 hp Briggs on the end does help a little.
    There is very little noise coming from the exhaust. I do hear engine clatter, typical of a air cooled 4 stroke.
    Yeah, Denny, it really was a lot of work- kind of a pioneering effort like you did.
    Thanks for the comments guys!

9. Gh0stRider

Gh0stRider Banned

Automotive type alternators are not known for their efficiency, as there is plenty of HP to waste in a typical automotive application. Cost is their main concern.

Maybe using an alternator from a motorcycle (like a GSX-R) would be more lightweight and more efficient? Or for low RPM output, couple the engine to a homemade PM alternator made for windmills. I remember reading about someone using a volvo brake rotor and magnets to make a high output, low RPM alternator.

10. professor

professor Active Member

You are right about alternator efficiency, I knew that going in to this project, however, other means of on-board DC power are in the unobtanium category for me.
    There are permanent magnet stators available (about $125) for converting Delco 10SI alternators for wind mill use. But they will not help efficiency.

I have no clue what the actual fuel mileage for the bike is, but I think it is probably better than my old Prism. Now, if New York would join the twenty first century and make gas bikes legal, I would strip off all this e-stuff in a heartbeat. As it is, the Gov. still has to sign the E-bike thing into law, and he is currently up to his eyebrows in dog-poo.

11. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

Professor,
    If you are interested in designing a PM (windmill) style alternator, get a hold of me... I know a little about electronics, not as much as you, but have the perfect machine to cut custom wood parts, such as a drum and stator! Did I mention precision also!

Not only would I be learning but would be able to quickly replicate them!

12. professor

professor Active Member

Thanks Marty, but I only learned about them in searching for alternator stuff. It is certainly windy enough here (look at all the windmills along the lake (when they work) or out in the country) but I'm in the city part of W.Seneca.