$$10 fender reinforcement for my Kent Bayside build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brickyard

Local time
4:09 AM
I consider keeping my water-deflecting fenders a performance modification on my Walmart special Kent Bayside Beach Cruiser. Fenders came with pre cut slots for a perfect gap to slide 1.5 inch corner braces in. With a 15/64 drill bit, M6-1.0 hardware, some thread lock, and some rotary tool work, I hope to enjoy the look and function of my fenders for a long time without having to buy new fenders.

I will be cutting corner braces to be flush with brake mounts and sealing exposed hardware with “liquid electrical tape” in the near future...

image.jpg
A81A98ED-FEDB-4A41-B368-5072154C0B4F.jpeg
B89A7B61-C317-4447-AF39-9248DA4A6D94.jpeg
5E69AEE5-C315-496E-9DF0-3E7C93337A26.jpeg
8ED62FF5-D08C-4AF6-884C-30AD3ED5853A.jpeg

Last edited:
Great job!

I made the common first mistake of thinking I can keep my fenders on with just some large washers to spread the load but of course the super thin tab still broke within 20 miles of riding. I did the same thing with some angle brackets that I drilled and riveted and it has held much better, but this looks to be even easier and removable. Do you know the threaded length on those black bolts so they dont hit the tire? Looks to be roughly 15mm?

Thanks for sharing, I'll be making a trip to Lowes today for some corner braces :).

Best would be rivets, not pop rivets. The aluminum ones are easy enough to work with. Propane torch, hamer and something to use as a mandrel is all it takes

If you have room then nuts and bolts are fine as long as you use red loctite.

I consider keeping my water-deflecting fenders a performance modification on my Walmart special Kent Bayside Beach Cruiser. Fenders came with pre cut slots for a perfect gap to slide 1.5 inch corner braces in. With a 15/64 drill bit, M6-1.0 hardware, some thread lock, and some rotary tool work, I hope to enjoy the look and function of my fenders for a long time without having to buy new fenders.

I will be cutting corner braces to be flush with brake mounts and sealing exposed hardware with “liquid electrical tape” in the near future...

View attachment 81470View attachment 81462 View attachment 81463 View attachment 81464 View attachment 81465
What is liquid electrical tape?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back