10$ honda generator scrap find!!

mark20

Well, i was at my local scrap yard (first day they opened) and was getting rid of my crap, when i was looking around i saw a pile of 5 generators, all were kinda f***ed over and had seen there use, but this one, this one i brought back with me!
Costed me 10$ and my scrap (so like 4$)
Its a eg5000x

Now, there was a reason it was cheap, cause the motor threw a rod, checked out everything else, it seems to be working like new! And this will probably be my SHTF COVID backup power (hehe) or more realisticly when im going camping and at a rv sight (we rent camping trailers, and we never seem to get a generator, so might come in handy vs my 1000w HF special)

Looking good so far! Lets hope its just a con rod!

Attachments

HumanPerson

That is awesome!
Where i am from they don't let us pick the scrap yard but i am tellin ya that would be awesome to do if they would let us.

There is one yard that will let you pick through just dumped stuff before the magnet crane gets it on certain days though.

mark20

That is awesome!
Where i am from they don't let us pick the scrap yard but i am tellin ya that would be awesome to do if they would let us.

There is one yard that will let you pick through just dumped stuff before the magnet crane gets it on certain days though.
Yea, this yard usually doesn't, but i talked to the owner and he let me go around for 10min before anyone else got there. Super nice guy, but i can see why he normally doesnt let people go there (lots of jagged metal that could cut you bad if your not looking where your going)

HumanPerson

If you can find xray films or some cat scan films i think, you can get money for the silver on them.
Crazy to recover the silver oxide though is what i think this guy was doing.
We traveled the US collecting xray films from doctor and dental and veterinarian offices lol
The boss just got the silver off as solver oxide iirc and did something to get back into elemental silver with a heat proccess or something but it was fun :p

HumanPerson

Yea, this yard usually doesn't, but i talked to the owner and he let me go around for 10min before anyone else got there. Super nice guy, but i can see why he normally doesnt let people go there (lots of jagged metal that could cut you bad if your not looking where your going)
Aint it always good to be able to talk to others that other people say are mean ot nuts, then get to know them and like them and they let us do things
like rummage through stuff lol Always good fun man! ✌

mark20

Aint it always good to be able to talk to others that other people say are mean ot nuts, then get to know them and like them and they let us do things
like rummage through stuff lol Always good fun man! ✌
Yup, acting nice and asking has worked wonders for me! Since everyone is scared of the news now, its kinda a commodity.

HumanPerson

Ya know, I really think that if God wanted me to have the Corona viri, then i'd have it and be dying.

The World is changing, it's inevitable. We either change/morph with life or we cease to exist i suppose.

I like the way you think :)

As a society, and this is just my opinion, we have become so weak and don't even, for the most part, people really don't think for themselves anymore.

Bottom line, I'll survive, but how many people will not..hmmm...and how many good people will survive and come together...crazy crazy man lol :p

mark20

Ya know, I really think that if God wanted me to have the Corona viri, then i'd have it and be dying.

The World is changing, it's inevitable. We either change/morph with life or we cease to exist i suppose.

I like the way you think :)

As a society, and this is just my opinion, we have become so weak and don't even, for the most part, people really don't think for themselves anymore.

Bottom line, I'll survive, but how many people will not..hmmm...and how many good people will survive and come together...crazy crazy man lol :p
Yup, but for now im getting killer deals so 😆

mark20

UPDATE:
after thinking about it, i decided the cut the inner motor wiring, as the motor is siezed on there, and i cant install the rod without removing the motor windings, so its coming off.
ill be selling the outer generator coil on ebay, and keeping the frame and motor (its 11hp, so you know its going on a fast mini bike!)

mark20

UPDATE #2
After about 2 hrs of cussing, i managed tio hack off the generator part, and got the block all taken apart, gave it a good wash and jb welded the massive hole in the top (i had to cut the pieces to fit them back together) ill add some more tommorrow but its looking good so far!

Just waiting for the rod to show up and then its testing time!

Attachments