100+ degrees out

Anyone attempting to paint their engines needs it to be eat-off-it-clean for good results. Clean every surface to be painted with acetone or laquer thinner. Don't 'splode yourseft doing this in an enclosed area, and even if you are outside-NO SMOKING!!!!

Try to use a "high temp" paint, or BBQ black which is usually labled as "high temp" paint. Flat black or satin BBQ black give a different effect than gloss black, so choose accordingly.

If it were 100 deg F outside I would change the oil I use to something different but it has some minor drawbacks.

Regardless of whether the two stroke oil you use is traditional non-syn or synthetic there is one type of oil that tolerates high temperatures better than either of them. This has been proven time and time again in the radio control engine community whose engines cylinder temps often exceed 300 deg F with rpms in 20,000-25,000 range.

The oil is castor oil. Drawbacks is that it forms a varnish and will buildup on your piston and rings. However, many in the cart racing community use it because it is has proven to work better than anything else. I'm going to start using it myself.
A good compromise is to use a blend of 2 stroke oil containing 20% degummed castor oil and I highly recommend Klotz Super Techniplate: http://www.niagaramarinehobbies.com/KLOTZ Oil_1.htm LOOK AT ITS FLASHPOINT...IT BEATS MOST 2 STROKE OILS by 200 deg F.

R50 Racing Techniplate Racing Synthetic Lubricant.
Characteristics

Smoke Rating: 9 1=fog: 10=no smoke
Clean Burn: 9 1=heavy deposits: 10-no carbon
Film Strength: 9.5 1=failure: 10=virtually no wear
Viscosity @ 100F 900 SUS 50W @ 40C: 200CST
Pour Point: -10F
Flash Point: 400F
RPM Limit: Unlimited.
Rust Prevention: Contains Rust inhibitors. Excellent storage lubricant.
Certification: A.P.I S.A. Intended for Racing Engines Only.

Super Techniplate Racing Synthetic with 20% Castor blend Lubricant.

Pure Synthetic bases are blended with 20% BeNOL Racing Castor Oil. Provides engines the Clean burn quality of Klotz synthetic lubricants along with the exceptional film strength of Castor Oil. Degummed Castor Oil reduces ring groove deposits and protects engines in high RPM and extreme heat applications.

.Superior Film Strength and Anti-Scuff protection.
.Extreme Load Carrying Capacity to eliminate engine wear.
.Clean Burn Technology reduces carbon and residue build-up.
.Contains Familiar Klotz Red for easy mixing and racy odor.

Compatibility

Blends with gasoline, methanol alcohol, nitromethane and stays in suspension. Will not blend with petroleum oils or synthetic lubricants.

Characteristics

Smoke Rating: 8 1=fog: 10=no smoke
Clean Burn: 7 1=heavy deposits: 10=no carbon
Film Strength: 8 1=Failure: 10=virtually no wear
Viscosity @ 100F 950 SUS 50W @ 40C: 200 CST
Pour Point: -10F
Flash Point: 460F
RPM Limit: 25,000
Rust Prevention: Contains rust inhibitors. NOT recommended as a storage lubricant.
Certification: A.P.I. S.A. Intended for Racing Engines Only.

Check out the differences: Klotz with 20% benol castor has a flashpoint of 460 deg F and note amsoil's flashpoint of 237 deg F!!!!

AMSOIL SABER TYPICAL TECHNICAL PROPERTIES
Saber Professional Synthetic 100:1 Pre-Mix 2-Cycle Oil (ATP)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)
Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270) 136
Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-97)
-36 (-33)
Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92)
114 (237)

Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92) 114 (237)

AMSOIL DOMINATOR Synthetic 2-Cycle Racing Oil
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)
Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270) 156
Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 97)
-48 (-54)
Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 92)
92 (198)
Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 92) 97 (207)

Last edited by a moderator:
way to technical for me, but thanks for the input :)
isn't cator oil kinda pricey? :eek:
not expecting my engine to last forever, just wanted to know if there was anything I could do to help a little, thats all 8)

Bill,
The key point is that Klotz which has only 20% degummed castor is superior to anything out there. Klotz is not pure castor just a blend of synthetic with some castor. This stuff isn't any pricier than AMSOIL.

Don't be scared by the technical stuff, the guys who do it aren't any smarter than either of us. Flash point is the temperature at which the oil is ignited. The 2 stroke oil lubricates in liquid form not in ignited form. Higher flash point is better is all you need to know.

THe other stuff is viscosity at various temperatures. You don't want viscosity to break down (shear down) too much at higher temps. Viscosity is measures in CST or SUS (sorta of like celcius or farenheit measurements..same thing measured differently).

Film strength is also a measure of wear on parts..Amsoil measures film strength with a standard friction ball bearing test..

Pour Point is how well oil flows at low temperatures..not important for us..

painting the motors

I used to get cans of High heat engine paint at any (parts store).Before we assembled the cylinders to the race cars(mostly VW powered).Spray several(4 to 5)thin coats of high heat paint on them.This insolates the barrels alittle more,and helps dissapate the heat.We used the 1200C or better paint for exhaust systems.It also comes in alot more colors than just black.It usualy works realy good for from 2 to 4 races depending on the miles short course races sometimes about 6 races.The problem I see is that the VW cylinders are cast iron type.I'm not sure how this would stick or hold up on the aluminium cylinder's. Just an idea!!

Back