100 km/liter diesel two seater

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SimpleSimon, Mar 2, 2010.

1. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

VW has unveiled a one cylinder/one liter diesel city car, seating two in tandem, that weighs 290 kg (638 lbs) and gets 100 km/liter (248 mpg ) while being capable of cruising at freeway speeds.

It ain't pretty, but with those performance numbers, it doesn't need to be pretty. Better yet, per one article about it which I read, it is supposed to go into production in China within this year, and the projected retail sales price will be roughly $600 dollars.

Thats's right, SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS!

I don't know about anyone else, but I want one. NOW!

<
  2. andyszyd

andyszyd Member

Where did you get 600 bucks figure?

Isn't it cost of it's production in CHINA ??

This thing looks too claustrofobic to me, but I,d buy $600 1 liter diesel motorcycle or scooter today.

Hold it, I'd buy four, 1 for me, 1 for my son 1 for my mother in law and 1 for my dog.

3. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

The $600 figure was in an article I ran into in one of my 'net chases - I follow links frequently, and it was one I ran across. Should have saved the link, but I was mostly looking for some specific information, so I scanned the story and moved on.

4. Dilly Bar Rob

Dilly Bar Rob Member

Cool car! Now that's the way to go....

$600? Would be nice but I don't think so... it's hard to put an engine on a bicycle and strap a tent to it for 600, let alone make a car :)

"Rumors put the price of the Volkswagen L1 at anywhere between "20,000 to 30,000 Euros (about $31,750 to $47,622)". But if oil prices keep climbing, that might be a bargain in 2010."

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/07/vw-282-mpg-1-one-liter-car-production-2010.php

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1023641_vw-1-liter-tandem-city-car-tipped-for-2010-production

5. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

I gotta agree... a carbon fiber bicycle costs more than that.