$100 Well Spent: Yamaha U5E

I keep a lot of projects going, one after another. I've done car, trucks and motorized bicycles, in 2020 when covid shut down everything I restored a 18 foot Jayco travel trailer from ground up. I put 150 man hours or so into that project.

I can't wait to see what you get it doing!!! i'm excited to see the next thread on this ride!!!!
I’ll be procuring some components and doing a lot of research for now. I’ve got a couple weeks set aside in June when a fella, with a lot of 2t race car and restoration experience, and I are going to really get into it. I’ll document it probably.

When I said ground up I wasn’t joking.

Attachments

• AC74B652-9BBC-49AD-A6FB-6CE4DF32692D.jpeg
    AC74B652-9BBC-49AD-A6FB-6CE4DF32692D.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 110
I’ll be procuring some components and doing a lot of research for now. I’ve got a couple weeks set aside in June when a fella, with a lot of 2t race car and restoration experience, and I are going to really get into it. I’ll document it probably.
Please do doc it all. I like to read about and see all y'all Experiences. I find it fun to follow along as other people do projects. An I love to see all the smiles on a job well done!! I'm looking forward to it.

Wound up restoration on my trailer... This is going to finish it and a solid floor on the porch that's going to be a shop/ mud room....

Attachments

• IMG_20220326_100939023.jpg
    IMG_20220326_100939023.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 90
Found this scooter in an auction at a local trade school. The listing had 2 blurry pictures and offered no information, other than saying “parts were taken off but included in a box”. I bid on a few things. Won them all. $12 for 2 commercial stand mixers, amazing in its on rite. And $100 for this 1966 Yamaha U5E with 702 original miles. It even came with the original owners manual and shop manual.
It’s in pretty good shape, the only parts actually missing are a mirror and the oil cap. Otherwise anything missing in the pics is there.
I am totally blown away with what I ended up with here. I figure I’ll port the engine, get it a proper pipe, kinda do a light restoration everywhere else, but keep the original paint as much as possible. Its powered by an electric start, 50cc, disk-valve, engine with a 3sp semi-auto gearbox. Should be fun. So, what do you think? Do you dig vintage scooters?
Anybody happen to know what type of transmission/motor oil /gear oil, a 1965 Yamaha U5 would take information on these is like finding gold

Back