100cc Boxer Twin Cylinder Engine - it only needs is a jackshaft

Well, I may have misunderstood what I read, but my understanding is that the original engine design came out of Russia in 1936, where it was intended to be the powerplant for a man portable command headquarters radio transmitter for military use. After 1946, the engine had the frame clamps added so that it could be mounted in a bicycle frame for ease of transport - the radio operator rode the bike, and backpack carried the radio set. There is one in the national museum of Hungary as a display, with a mannequin posed setting up the transmitter and the engine/genset mounted on the bike. Or there was, in 1984, anyway.

Fabian, for a guy who claims to be concerned with police harassment and excessive regulation of motorized bicycles, you certainly seem to enjoy advocating flaunting the existing laws and inviting yet more disastrous regulation upon others.

Almost every legal jurisdiction regulates gas-assisted bicycles to an engine displacement of 50 cc or less, and a top speed typically around 20 mph. Not too mention, your typical bike frame is not built for the stresses that large an engine can impose, and frankly, speeds in excess of 30 mph really aren't terribly smart on a bicycle.

What use is it?

What he said.

The request for pushing the cc limits always and enviably move things beyond the realm of MAB by defintion, motor assisted bicycle, and IMO into the range where a small motorcycle would be a better solution.

I believe Fabian is using the gears to SLOW his descent rather than speed up.

not what it sounded like to me...

its a bike... not a 4wd lo equipped truck. Wouldn't a #11 tooth equipped GEBE kit perform just exactly that task???

Not exactly, on a GEBE setup the clutch is on the engine and when you let off the throttle the system goes into freewhelling mode. Thats not very helpful when trying to slow down. BIG Brakes on all wheels including the trailer would be much better choice. Anyone towing over 165 pounds (75kg) should have big brakes.
Augi was looking at brakes for his trailer and he has only 75 pounds (34kg) of stuff for his trip.I can not imagine hauling 75 plug kg's down a hill without brakes.

vtec, how am i supposed to get to 30 miles an hour going down a hill, with a single speed drive that's geared for maybe 5 miles an hour.

With all the friction of the tyres (all 4 of them) running at low pressure for a comfortable and smooth ride, i need full throttle going downhills to try and maintain 30 miles an hour (if i'm lucky).

Like i said: what happens when i'm going down hill and want to change through the next 8 gears?

Does the GEBE kit have functionality to allow a 9 speed cassette to be slotted inbetween the engine and rear wheel?
If it doesn't it's a completely pointless and useless system, just like any single speed drive train.

Fabian

Last edited:
Not exactly, on a GEBE setup the clutch is on the engine and when you let off the throttle the system goes into freewhelling mode. Thats not very helpful when trying to slow down. BIG Brakes on all wheels including the trailer would be much better choice. Anyone towing over 165 pounds (75kg) should have big brakes.
Augi was looking at brakes for his trailer and he has only 75 pounds (34kg) of stuff for his trip.I can not imagine hauling 75 plug kg's down a hill without brakes.

when I let my gas off... the clutch doesn't let go until I get down to about 10 mph.

vtec, how am i supposed to get to 30 miles an hour going down a hill, with a single speed drive that's geared for maybe 5 miles an hour.

With all the friction of the tyres (all 4 of them) running at low pressure for a comfortable and smooth ride, i need full throttle going downhills to try and maintain 30 miles an hour (if i'm lucky).

Like i said: what happens when i'm going down hill and want to change through the next 8 gears?

Does the GEBE kit have functionality to allow a 9 speed cassette to be slotted inbetween the engine and rear wheel?
If it doesn't it's a completely pointless and useless system, just like any single speed drive train.

Fabian

do whatever you want... you are the one with the problem, not me.

Please post a picture of the carnage when your eighth gear, 30+ mph run down the hill at full load goes bad. :rolleyes:

You aussies seem to have a serious problem with common sense.

Fabian

tanaka... take note;

the eight speed cassette was not for braking purposes... it was indeed for intentionally bombing down the hill at full speed with a full 165 lb load.

Back