118cc lifan build

if I remember right, there's some gx160 parts that are same as 120, but nobody is saying that mostly bcs it's really not an engine ppl doing anything fun with them.
it's cheap, and lighter than a 196/212 plus i like to be different. 5+ hp is realistic

This build sounds cool I haven't seen anyone actually use that 3D motorsports manual clutch. RBG on youtube started a few videos on it but ended the series. That is an interesting bike you will use. The 118cc lifan is smaller than the 212cc but with mods I bet it would still go 50mph. People should use the lifan instead of a 79cc more power not much bigger and hey, both are an illegal engine size to begin with. For the 79cc only intake/carb and springs are available no billet rod.

I'm currently helping my buddy build a 144cc honda gx140. Max cc allowed for a moped in california is <150cc, after that it is a motorcycle. Even if it is 1cc it still needs to be registered as a moped. Looking for a billet flywheel that will fit, found out the gx160 connecting rod and custom ground camshaft will work. Might be used in the smbr modified class next march with me driving. Its 5 hp stock, should easily hit 70 mph ungoverned, takes 4 hp to hit 55 mph.

jeepers 70mph would be scary fast hahaha. I think I'll gear for about 40 tops, governed at first. 26-27mph is my fav commuting speed. the uncomfy 2 stroke 'll do 30. seems too slow yaknow? I like speed when you need lol

If you ungovern it, buy at minimum a billet flywheel, you do not want that thing ripping apart anywhere near your crotch. My 53cc hits about 45 on the flats, 50 max on a slight downhill. It was scary going fast at first, now I am so busy looking for cagers trying to hit me I don't have time to be scared. Get good brakes.

yeah, I'm planning a 203mm disc up front.
I had this idea of maybe some electronic rev limiter I could adjust. I just need my 4hp @ 4500rpm. or maybe I can file the governer button a few thou

Yeah if that gov is still in though it will kick the throttle back it did it on my 79cc engine. You’d have to remove it to get 4500+ I’d be careful about trying to modify the governor it could grenade. I don’t know if your running a different carb but there’s a throttle stop screw on the stock throttle.

Last edited:
frame came today, and the challenge begins! I knew I'd have enough room for the Lifan, but maybe a little too much room lol. I'm puzzling how to tie it in and I have some aluminum blocks I could grind but maybe have to get something longer to anchor back to the seat post. I don't have a welder, but maybe it's time to get one. The frame is not as heavy as I thought it would be.
20190102_142522.jpg20190102_141452.jpg
20190102_143037.jpg

Back