118cc lifan build

you know in '87 they banned 3 wheeler ATV's bcs the turning issue... even # wheels is best haha. I remember my 200x tho was a blast but you had to know to lean into turns

Looks to me you don't have to much option, as your hub is also the brake. If you went with cassette, you would have to find another brake. Here is what i found, but you may have to move some things to get sprockets lined up. http://www.staton-inc.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=84

You may want to look in Worksman trike site, or call and see if they have a hub with sprockets setup like yours, one on each end. Now if you plan on keeping this trike, you may want to consider a differential for the rear. That way both wheels pull the same, and brake the same if you use disk brake on differential hub. Staton has all the sprockets and parts. http://www.staton-inc.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=179 ............Curt

Lol.....sounds great :ROFLMAO:.

All joking set aside I hear ya, I know trikes are not the most stable cornering things, i just want to have the option of speeding up on flats if it feels comfortable, I'm worried that i will build this thing and be unhappy with the way its geared so i figured some sort of transmission would open up some options. I may build it and later want to go after something with 2 wheels but if that's the case I'll sell and start over. I have some cool attachment plans in mind for this build. Still trying to figure out this gearing issue and the best way to go about it.

Cheers!

In this forum's early days there was a member who put a GXH50 chained to a geared hub on the front wheel of his trike. His trike ended up being quite fast and he said numerous times it was really too fast to be safe. You'll be exceeding his power level considerably. Not trying to sniff your farts or anything, you're gonna build what you want, just saying: It's pretty damn easy to get overpowered on pedal hardware LOL.

I know from experience, dude [insert Chris Farley from Billy Madison pic here]

Hi Guys,

I plan on using the Lifan 118cc engine. The bike has 26" tires on it, I also plan to modify the jack shaft as needed, as of now it only fits that hub but I plan to chop this frame up as needed for things to line up. Jerboa, if I go with the same gear ratio you are planning to use do you think I will have plenty of torque to make hills? 40 MPH opened up sounds like more than enough. As for the brake I was thinking about putting a disc brake on the front wheel and possibly 1 on the rear axle if needed. From my understanding the reason 1 wheel is a drive wheel on the rear is to help with turning, I was told if I make a posi track rear end it may skip around when trying to corner.

Thank you all for the feed back,
Cheers!

Yeah, you know, setting up a 40+MPH capable engine to a single wheel drive on a trike is "more than enough".

Yeah, you will "definitely make hills". Probably hills you didn't even know were there until you sneezed or even ducked a bee.

Have you ever really ducked a bee?

Thank you all for the feed back,
Cheers!

Honestly, I have all the best long-term interests when I say these things.

well, I can get away with 8.67:1 even with this heavy stretch cruiser bcs it's manual clutch. with a CC, people always recommend 10:1 or more. Governed, you'll get ~3600rpm and still climb anything but to get 40mph on 26", it needs 5200rpm and the stock rod won't live long

To be honest I'm okay with 30mph as l long as I can climb when needed. With this governed lifan engine what ratio would I need to hit to accomplish this? If the motor is 3600RPM is that the number I use when calculating?

Last edited:
I wouldn't use your max rpm for calculating personally. I'd put a few bricks in the trike and go down a huge hill, see how fast you want to cruise. Then see what rpm you want to cruise at and go from there.

Hi JerboaJohn,

I have attached a screen shot of sprocket sizing, does this look okay? I plan to use #40 chain. All input is welcome, good bad or different, love to brainstorm!

Cheers!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190220-155005_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190220-155005_Chrome.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 172
Back