12,500 watt, twin RC motored, lipo trike video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone mentioned 50mph on 750watts.

Not a chance, on a flat road, unless you're riding a streamlined recumbent.

The most aerodynamic upright cyclist(time trial gear) would yield around 38mph with a sustained 750watts, and that's on an 18lb bike too.

If you're getting up to 50mph on flat roads your motor is easily pushing >3000watts sustained.

Let me bring a bit of realism to this thread. There is no market for e-bikes over 3000watts. You might as well just get a motorcycle which is much safer and it'd be worth the additional registration and insurance costs. Seriously.

However, I bet for **** sure that these huge power ebikes you guys have are a ton of fun. I just don't see a market for them. They aren't practical or necessary for the average person who is looking to cycle commute.

1000watts is a good limit for ebike commuters. If you are able to use gears, that's plenty of power for starts and hills. Remember, ebike riders don't desire to go 40mph up hills. They mostly just want a lightweight, relatively powerful ride that can move them in the 20-25mph range.

With that said, I am interested in putting one of these RC motors on a bike for fun, responsible play.

I had built a 600watt ebike that could cruise 25mph. I couldn't even sell it on craigslist for $350.

If you're getting up to 50mph on flat roads your motor is easily pushing >3000watts sustained.

....Sounds like something that dribbled from Safes mouth when he pushes his 750Watt legal limit spiel in every second thread. Depending on the aero i thought 2500watt is about what is required for 50MPH though correct me if i'm wrong Matt? Either way though Veloman your absolutely correct its waaaay more than 750Watts. You might be interested in the Non Hub Motor threadon Endless Sphere if your not already a participant? There is heap of RC motor threads there and is where you will find Matt (recupmence) hanging about offering his expertise on a more regular basis than here at MOteredBikes...Best of luck with your project, im about to start fab on my own rc powered build just finalised the last 10in pulley for my rear wheel today as a matter of fact! Have a Turnigy HXT 130 I picked up local Friday...now to build the frame :)

Veloman said:
Let me bring a bit of realism to this thread. There is no market for e-bikes over 3000watts. You might as well just get a motorcycle which is much safer and it'd be worth the additional registration and insurance costs. Seriously.

Seriously...You might want to tell that to the handful that have either already bought or have ordered e-bikes from Matt along with the dozen or so reduction drives he has sold to people wanting a powerful e-bikes...NO i agree alot wont want the e-bike with mega power but as is the case with most hobbys/sports there is a always a group that wants to gotto extremes, JUST because its IL-Legal to sell a PLUS 750watt powered e-bike in USA for road use doesn't mean you can't buy the parts and build one and ride it LEGALLY off road does it? Not that it matters one iota, Matt is an individual hes not multimillion dollar company trying to ram his product or ideas (like a certain other member on MB) down our throats, people that know him, do because of the forums and his reputation for quality fabbed components, I'm not speaking on behalf of Matt here but i would suggest he doesn't give a second thought to the legalities of it either? I have read numerous times also Matt rarely uses the power and rides responsibly within safe speeds PARTICULARLY when he knows there are people around watching ALL in an effort to NOT give the e-bike community a bad rep...All that said, alot of these drives I have seen bought on ES from Matt go into downhill mountain bikes that i guess aren't used on the road so much..So...your not totally correct in your assumption..no disrespect meant or intended mate, just letting you know there has been a far few dollars (talkin many thousands of dollars here...~3k for one bike alone!) spent on the purchase of Matts bikes AND drives already...hehee this REALLY ****es safe of too you know that right Matt? hahaha keep up the GREAT work my friend ;-)

KiM

P.S Matt i PMed you on ES regarding buying a reduction drive can you please get back to me ASAP so i can arrange PayPal money transfer. Thankyou

Last edited:
28world's%20fastest%20bikes-sm.jpg

http://www.recumbents.com/WISIL/whpsc2002/speedchallenge-2002.htm

The human powered speed record on flat land is 80.55 mph.

Human power can (at peak) produce 750 watts for short distances.

It's possible to go 50 mph with human power or 750 watts of electric power, but you can't do it upright, you need to either be riding a recumbent or a road racer (tight tuck) in order to reduce your frontal area. I reduce my frontal area to about half of a normal bike when I'm in a tuck. (so it makes sense from the mathematical perspective) I've found that a tight tuck and no fairing will require about 1300 watts (~2 hp) to get to 50 mph.

A standard bicycle cannot get to 50 mph much less 80 mph at 750 watts.

(a standard upright might get you to 35 mph but that's about it)

It's a simple equation really... if the power is held constant (750 watts) then speed is gained only by improving the aerodynamics. But if you go down the route of the "tube bikes" (aerodynamic recumbents) you get the speed, but lose the handling, so I've been seeking the best compromise between speed and handling.

The fact of the matter is that 80 mph at 750 watts in a "tube bike" is not the kind of fun I'm interested in... :sick:

Last edited:
I can give you some specific data on speed and wattage;

My recumbent pulls 1,400 watts to sustain 40mph on the flat and it is not as efficient as it could be. It is possible to sustain 50mph on roughly 1,500 watts if setup right. However, not on 750 watts (without streamlining).

Kim,

Yup, I got your PM. I have out of state relatives in for a double memorial service and Scott is picking up this weekend. So, I have been swamped. I will PM you back with specifics shortly. :)

Oh, Scott is getting a new rear tire on the trike (per his request). So, I brake torqued a 45 [wheel speed] tire spoker untill the tire blew. My uncle took a video of it. He is sending me a copy so I can put it up on Youtube.

Matt

Your numbers sound correct to me.

750 watts is not going to get you to 50 mph without significant improvements in aerodynamics. You pretty much need a full fairing and even then it will be difficult. (but that's the challenge for me) :cool:

I'm willing to say that it would be EASY to get to 50mph on 750watts, in a correctly designed streamlined recumbent.

The racers at Battle Mtn do it on probably around 300watts. It just takes miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back