12mm thru axle conversion

Bizal

Local time
8:41 PM
Hi you'll.
I just bought a Gemini rear hub. I have a cdh power 3.4l frame with 10mm rear axle drop outs.
The new hub has a 12mm threw axle.
I was wondering if anybody had good results modifying there rear drop outs to fit a 12mm axle?
I'm building a hybrid and figured the 12mm axle is probably the way to go for the extra power.
My idea is to file the top of the drop out 2mm up since the top is the beefier or find exactly where my axle will sit on the drop out after adjusted and drill 12mm hole threw drop out. I figured this would b good for making sure the wheel stays put, but doesn't leave room for adjusting for chain stretch.
Any edvise is welcomed

Got problems too, mags are about 35 days old 10mm bolt sheared off BBR won't warrantee over 30 days also their billet caliper adapter rip out on the first brake yank my 20mm to 35mm really sweated pound it back in with a hammer to 20mm thought might break half to throw entire bike away.

I think you would be okay seems like 20 mm - 12 mm you would still have enough clearance to slide that shaft right in.

Attachments

• 20211022_132141.jpg
    20211022_132141.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 151
Wow. How the he'll did that happen. Maybe one of your bearing froze up and sawed through the axle. Your lucky u didn't get hurt.
I ordered from bbr once also. Never again

Wow. How the he'll did that happen. Maybe one of your bearing froze up and sawed through the axle. Your lucky u didn't get hurt.
I ordered from bbr once also. Never again
Not sure if the REI bike mechanic sabotage it or not because taking off the mag gears all felled off with it too.
Then I had BBR billet for the calipter swing up bent my dropout packets to 35mm from 20mm to scare and lazy to beat it back in place without break throw the whole bike away.

Hi you'll.
I just bought a Gemini rear hub. I have a cdh power 3.4l frame with 10mm rear axle drop outs.
The new hub has a 12mm threw axle.
I was wondering if anybody had good results modifying there rear drop outs to fit a 12mm axle?
I'm building a hybrid and figured the 12mm axle is probably the way to go for the extra power.
My idea is to file the top of the drop out 2mm up since the top is the beefier or find exactly where my axle will sit on the drop out after adjusted and drill 12mm hole threw drop out. I figured this would b good for making sure the wheel stays put, but doesn't leave room for adjusting for chain stretch.
Any edvise is welcomed
Did you get it to work?
I got a 9mm axel to replace a 11mm axel it's in a bike shop right now don't know if there is going to be problems, not worried about the dropouts worried about insider the mag bearings, well it work?

Not yet, I got the hubs, but I haven't decided in a rim yet. I was thinking of going with 1.6 x 19 moto rims and tires. I'm kinda building slow over the winter. Plus I've been waiting on minarelli parts from smolik for like two months so the prossess is going slooooooooow. Lol

Not yet, I got the hubs, but I haven't decided in a rim yet. I was thinking of going with 1.6 x 19 moto rims and tires. I'm kinda building slow over the winter. Plus I've been waiting on minarelli parts from smolik for like two months so the prossess is going slooooooooow. Lol
I'm waiting on a reed stuffer. Then I just bought two 3d printers and started making my own stuff. I have made 9 stuffers while waiting for the one I ordered. lmao. It's all good though, I should have remembered they were in race season.

Got problems too, mags are about 35 days old 10mm bolt sheared off BBR won't warrantee over 30 days also their billet caliper adapter rip out on the first brake yank my 20mm to 35mm really sweated pound it back in with a hammer to 20mm thought might break half to throw entire bike away.

I think you would be okay seems like 20 mm - 12 mm you would still have enough clearance to slide that shaft right in.
I've got the same wheels and haven't had problems with them yet and they are on a 212cc. Could be a stress crack that developed which
caused the stud to break off.

Back