12v lighting & safety system project-an MBc Community Effort

What type of generator is that? Does it only have the two wires coming out? Any voltage, watt and or amp output data on it?

that didn't take long at all :)

it looks even better than what i imagined over the phone...man, i sure hope this is the onboard charging solution...keep us well-posted...nice work!

:cool:

abeagle:What type of generator is that? Does it only have the two wires coming out? Any voltage, watt and or amp output data on it?
The generator/motor is off a scooter motor, it puts out 12-14 volts(tested with a drill) l don't know the make of it, and there is no amp info. l just spoke with my neighbor who is an electrician and we hooked up the gen/motor to a battery and it started to spin. so this is what Dennis said, go get 2 diodes 25-50 PIV with 10-15 amps, and connect each diode to black and red wires, and then to the battery. he also mentioned to pick up a Zenner Diode and attach it on the red wire after the 1st diode. please help me l just got thrown to electronic world#*@##$@!!#$^&*

so l went to radio shack and picked up the diodes and connected the battery to the generator with the diodes in place and it dosen't spin the motor anymore, which is what l wanted. generator will now throw power one way to the battery. l am going to hookup the rest after dinner and will let you all know what happens, where there's a will, there's a way!

The diodes will stop the discharge of the battery into the generator but they won't control the generator output. I don't know if the output will be enough to overcharge the battery but that's a possibility. I believe a voltage regulating circuit would be required. Did you install the zenner diode, your friend spoke about, I think that would help dissipate excess output.

yes, l did install the Zenner after the diode and l have it all hooked up. l have the gen to the battery and then to the lights with an on/off switch. before l took it for a ride l took a volt reading and it was at 12.2, when l got back from my ride it read 12.5 so it is working the way l wanted. l will keep taking more readings this whole week but im sure this is the the solution. it is working like its supposed to. Augi, thanks for letting me put this info here, im sure we are going to get alot of response from this. P.S. as soon as l get more generators l will send you one, these will make you very happy!!!!!!!

azvinnie, Could you supply us with the diode and zener diode numbers you are using from Radio Shack?

yay! (i need the other goodies, too, electrical dummie that i am, or info on the exact stuff i have to buy)

rif & others will be very interested in some schematics...i for one truly appreciate that you've found a way to take this system further...i'll make you a deal: hook me up and i'll put together a nice diagram for this topic :)

i guess this means that horn and turn-signals are soon to be a reality :cool:

abeagle: the diodes are 276-1141 = Epoxy Rectifier Diode 3amp 50piv, you put one of these on each wire(black and red). Next, you want to put a Zenner 276-563 12 volt on the red wire after the first Diode. this is supposed to regulate the flow to the battery.
Augi, l woke up this morining and turned on my light switch, and they still light up and have lots of juice. l will go pickup more gen's today. l will get as many as l can from him. lm still in ahhh that this is working:cool:

vinnie, yer a genius...i'll reveal my "secret" idea that i never got to work just right...an old 12v bicycle generator setup to run on the engine chain...you beat me to the punch, & you did it with style. the gen's are a real find, way to go :cool:

Back