12v lighting & safety system project-an MBc Community Effort

augi
something simple you could make a resister out of a old hot plate .,or electric stove
the coil is made of resister wire ,, so you can decrease your voltage to what you desire ,, ,, you can then get a plate of alum. lets say 2 by 3 inches,,,, my quick guess would be you may need a piece of wire 1 foot long and run the wire back and forth on alum plate until you have the voltage you want .any type of resistor gives of heat but in this case the amps are so low that it will hardly even make the resistor warm ,so theres no danger

i used this method of resistance on different things that i have built over the years ,,what i like about it is low cost and you have a choice of voltage ,,

idea you can ponder
japat

totally deleted because i'm a dummy...i still don't know what it does, but i know what it doesn't do.

Attachments

• Mvc-720f.jpg
    Mvc-720f.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 466
My mind shies away from electrical stuff (Too many interactions with 220). Can't help you here.

well, i'm down to one very nice 12V 7A SLA battery waiting for something to do. nothing lost during the experimenting, just burned up a few things i had laying around anyways.

...new lights eventually will fire this topic back up. for now, i think i'll mess around with the front-coaster.

well, i'm down to one very nice 12V 7A SLA battery waiting for something to do. nothing lost during the experimenting, just burned up a few things i had laying around anyways.

...new lights eventually will fire this topic back up. for now, i think i'll mess around with the front-coaster.

by now audi you must have lots of wire ,light bulbs ,batterers ,chargers, etc laying around . another thing you might want to add that works great is a volume control of a radio or tv ,,nice neat item ,it has a on and off switch and also has a resistor built in , meaning you can adjust the amount of voltage going to the bulbs , ,,.

good lighting system is one of the greatest things one can add to his mb and also makes riding more safe ,,so i hope you don"t give up on your lighting system . there allot of members including myself waiting to steal your patent,,, and were not going to steal it until you get it finish and working good ,, ,, do you still need a regulator or anything else to finish the job ??? , email me and let me know what you need and where it is located

japat

apparently, i don't know what i need...i was under the impression that a basic 12v bulb would actually handle up to 13.8V?

i hear that a variable resistor (volume control) is a huge drag on the runtime.

is this maybe only because i'm working with old leftovers? bulbs that had already seen better days?

this minute, benefit day, i can afford to get one "real" headlight...something basic, and "bolt-on", in the 20W range...any leads?

a $10 toss of the dice...i love the local hardware/grocer's. 55w halogen h3, "weather resistant" housing. i can't wait 'til it gets dark out:

Attachments

• MVC-721F.JPG
    MVC-721F.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 499
  • Mvc-722f.jpg
    Mvc-722f.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 473
Last edited by a moderator:
im loveing that one augie! when it comes to making it work on a budget your the master. rock on crouton!!

Back