12vDC Horn

S

SirJakesus

Hey guys I had a problem while trying to install my horn. I bought a Tomos 12v horn off a moped supply website but when I tested it out on my fully charged 12v SLA battery all the thing would do was make a pop noise (not too loud). It sounds as if you just plugged a speaker into a stereo but no music was playing... if you can get what I'm saying..
My question is do I need some kind of oscillator circuit in series with the power source horn and button? Are there some 12v horns that work just fine when connected directly to the battery? I'm just wondering if I have something defective or if I'm missing something essential.
The horn has a screw in the back in guessing to change the pitch, which I adjusted with no luck.
Thanks in advance.

do you happen to have a horn relay installed?
the popping might be your switch, if you don't
have one installed. horns take a bit more amps
than most know. and allot of switches
cant take the amps. every parts store
have relays.

I dont have a relay. I was looking to wire the horn in series with this momentary push button. It should take all the amps needed. What will the relay do for the horn? I haven't read about them much. When I was testing the horn I was just touching the lead wires off of it directly to the battery.

The relay is used only to protect the horn switch from high current loads if the horn draws more amps than the switch is designed to handle. If the horn does not work by connecting directly to the battery, it is probable defective or it may be a 12V AC not DC type. Some moped horns run off the magneto which I believe would make the horn an AC type. AC types will only make that pop noise when connecting to the battery. Check the vendor to see if its an AC or DC type... Good Luck!

Thanks guys... Thats what I was figuring about the horn. I'll have to stop by a local motorcycle shop and see if they have any and if they can test them out on an available battery. If not I'll contact electricscooterparts.com and order one of theirs if they tell me it'll work directly connected to the battery. I'm guessing my button will handle the amps easily if the 16ga wire I'm using can.

Back