1948 Roadmaster coil

Frank Avellino

Local time
5:33 PM
Hello all,
I have a 48 J engine that I've been trying to get going. I have researched info for years and I am at the point where I replaced the condenser and plug wire. I went to check spark and had it for a few turns then stopped. I realized that my clearance was wrong. set the gap on the fly wheel and now nothing. Now that I am getting more specific i find that some coils have 2 wires , I have a 1 wire. tested the coil and had tested and its fine. mags on fly wheel are good.
SO my question is are there both types? or has the 2nd wire gone missing. The bike has been in the family since the 70s. so who knows.
Any help
Thanks Frank

Dose it look like this?
Ever think of using an electronic control module instead of the old points?
Call Ron Houk @ 1-714-996-6323 If ya want a new vintage coil set up for your 48 J Whizzer
DSCF1698.JPG

Just one wire. and the S/P wire Do ya have good points?
Notice in the pic the condenser was wired closer to the points. Not sure if it makes a dif the way your condenser is wired right at the coil. Contact @Quenton Guenther He will know about that. I think he might also recommend the new Control module
Ya might want to hook up a new control module instead of the points. When doing so ya gotta plug the cam follower hole
Here is a few pic if it helps. Good Luck
They show both + and - hook ups because it depends on which way you magnets are orientated.

Attachments

• DSCF1900.JPG
    DSCF1900.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 226
  • DSCF1901.JPG
    DSCF1901.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 203
  • DSCF1903.JPG
    DSCF1903.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 204
Back