1950 Sportsman

jbcruisin

Local time
11:21 PM
A friend of mine bought this Sportsman. It was really nice but hadn't been run for many years. Here is some of the stuff I did to get it running . I poured Marvel mystery oil down through the spark plug hole. It had no spark so I sent The alternator and coil to Arizona to get checked. The alternator was good but the coil need of some work and I got a really good deal on getting it fixed for him. I changed the oil and the spark plug and cleaned the carburetor. It started then after I kicked it a while and ran great. The old tires kept losing air so I bought new tires, thorn resistant tubes and rim liners. While the wheels were off I greased the bearings and check the brakes and there was a lot of pad left on the brakes. It runs great and is fun to ride. The inside of the gas tank was rusty so I put a bunch of nuts and bolts in there and rolled them around to knock off the rust and cleaned out the inside of the tank. Then I installed a fuel sediment bowl to catch anything that tried to come through. Sportsman.JPG

I put a battery kit on it & it started a lot better. But they owner came & took it home yesterday
frown.gif
I had a lot of fun with it.

Attachments

• IMG_1972.JPG
    IMG_1972.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_1973.JPG
    IMG_1973.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1977.JPG
    IMG_1977.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 267
I had the privilege of riding that fine machine when my wife and I visited Jay and Bonnie back in February. I Never rode a vintage whizzer before that, so to start out on a sportsman...what a treat! Hope that carburetor worked for you Jay, and thanks for showing us your collection (the bikes and the wine).

Back