1957 Raleigh, Should I buy it?

cooltoy

Local time
1:58 AM
I have a chance at this bike that he dug out of a barn for me. It looks like new and was made in the same year as I was born, so that is kind of cool.
The thing is that I was after an older look,like what I think you guys/gals call the wizzer. The old Indian motorbike look.
What are your thoughts? I had offered $50 for that old bike in your barn and this is what I got back.
I've tried twice now but I can't get the pics to show up. The bike is like new, all the wheels and crome are in such good shape that you can read the info on the parts, even the rim.I could read the info on the pictures! It also has the original 3 speed shifter on the bars. Would I be lucky to have this bike if I had to pay more than , say, $150?????
Steve
Pictures of my bike are below.
I have determined that it is a 1957 model based on the date on the rear hub. I also researched it and found that it is very rare because of its large frame and 28" wheels. It is referred to in the US as a roadster but I know for sure that it was sold in Canada as a Raleigh Canadian. You can see by the badge on the front that it was manufactured in Nottingham, England.
It has the original bars, wheels, fenders, and all hardware. It is missing the gold pinstriping and blue stripe in the spoke area of the rims. The rims are perfectly straight -no dents or wobble. The leather seat is english and about the same vintage as the bike. The pedals and hand-grips have been replaced. The chrome plating is very good. The tires have lots of tread but show some sidewall cracking.
I am trying to make up my mind about the price.

Edit* from looking at file info from this site, it looks like my pics/files are too large..sorry

Last edited:
Do they even make 28 inch tires and tubes anymore?
I say go for it!

Good question! Another question would be:will the sprocket and chain clear the frame. Mountain bikes come with a very wide section of framing and that is why it's possible to leave that stupid thing that broke two of my wheels/spokes before I threw it away.I have around 6 great pics but I can't include them.
Large phil..do you want me to email them to you? Just a thought. You could pm me with email but I'll understand if you would rather not.

cooltoy if it looks like this I would buy it,and you can git 28"tires&tubes.louis

Attachments

• EASTMAN6.JPG
    EASTMAN6.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 368
Thanks, it's more like this picture but the cross bar is curved by your crotch. I have looked and looked but I can't find any pics. The bike only has the shifter on the handlbars as it has coaster brakes. now the guy is saying that he may put it on EBay if I am not interested. I will offer $100 and see what he says.

Attachments

• 1aa.jpg
    1aa.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 418
Edit* from looking at file info from this site, it looks like my pics/files are too large..sorry

I used this software to make thumbnails out of large pic files.
Once it's installed, right clik on the pic file and it creates the correct size pic (new file) for uploading, and it's free)
http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/?Easy Thumbnails=3000

Would be very interetsed to see that Raliegh, have one here and not sure what year it is.

Good question! Another question would be:will the sprocket and chain clear the frame. Mountain bikes come with a very wide section of framing and that is why it's possible to leave that stupid thing that broke two of my wheels/spokes before I threw it away.I have around 6 great pics but I can't include them.
Large phil..do you want me to email them to you? Just a thought. You could pm me with email but I'll understand if you would rather not.

Okay. PM sent. I could post it here.

IMO, a 50 year old bike in the condition you describe would be worth at least 150 but not to be motorized, just in it's own beautiful skin. Raleigh vintages are keepers.

Thanks to all, I've sent the pics to Large Filipino (thanks for that) and I will have a look at that site that boltsmissing gave me.
This is so strange for me because being an old car nut, I never would have thought that an old bike would create so much interest. You all have me thrilled with this find and the more I think about it the more I feel that some of the parts alone may be worth the money that he may ask. I've sent him an email telling him that I am interested and made an offer of $150 but I have the feeling he will want lots more. Thanks again to all of you, this has been fun! Not as much fun as say finding an old 1967 RS Camero convertable in a barn but I think I'm starting to "get" this bike thing. lol

Back