1st build 1st ride 1st broken rim

hello friends

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/echotraveler/IMG_7270.jpg
After some weeks of building i finished! went to the pump, mixed the oil, and tried to start...but, the chain holde got in the way of the spokes, stoped and fixed, then it happened again, tighten it more! ok now! it works! then the chain for some reason breaks! lol i fix that back home, and then again lets do it!

went out, and the chain holder gets in the way again! i get some friends and they help me get this thing tight! but the **** thing just kept getting in the way....no harm YET! i should have stopped, but how can you stop when oil is burning! so i go out...and it happends ..it really gets in the way, and rips 6 spokes out the rim!!:bigcry:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/echotraveler/IMG_7303.jpg

the chain broke again...now i cant fix it, and the motor was still on, i didnt know how to turn it off...turn the gas off, wait, think....play with the air intake it works....but the muffler is glowing red!! what!!!

wow i was amazed!!:(

....what i learned? patience is difficult to understand.

bending, altering, priming, desing, painting, tunning...can make your go crazy.
enjoy

Attachments

• IMG_7270.jpg
    IMG_7270.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_7269.jpg
    IMG_7269.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_7285.jpg
    IMG_7285.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_7302.jpg
    IMG_7302.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_7303.jpg
    IMG_7303.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_7305.jpg
    IMG_7305.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 256
Last edited by a moderator:
echo
that's a fine looking motor bike you got there
the spokes pulling through like that -- don't see that too often
I think that usually they break -- not pull through
well you have strong spokes and something had to give...

were you able to repair the wheel ?

ride the motor bike

I too had a LOT of trouble with the tensioner that came in my kit. The radiuses that were bent into it were way too big and no matter how tight I got the bolts it would still get pulled over to the side. My temporary fix was to put a soft steel spacer up against the tube and replace the bolts with 3/8" grade 8 so that when I tightened the tensioner down it deformed the metal spacer around the tube and was actually able to stay put. Eventually once I was confident the chain was done with its initial stretching I pulled the tensioner and cut 2 links out of the chain. It's much quieter and smoother now and I don't have to live in fear of the tensioner pulling sideways into my spokes.

Man, what a bummer.....

Those chain tensioners seem to be a real weakness in this design. I don't use the thing.

But I have thought of mounting it on a strut that reaches from the lower chain-stay to the upper. It wouldn't be hard to make and it would eliminate "rotation".

a sad day coming ???

Man, what a bummer.....

Those chain tensioners seem to be a real weakness in this design. I don't use the thing.

I hate to think this -- but -- thinking that someone is going to

die someday

because of one of these chain tensioners falling into the spokes

it will not be pretty -------- a sad day a coming ???

ride that thing careful ---- please

I've seen this posted and the guy who I purchased my motor suggested this. I drilled threw the tube and the tensioner plates. Put a screw threw it with a lock nut on the other end. Now it can not twist into the spokes

thanx for your replys guys....im thinking this has a fix...since the spokes didnt break, i could hammer the little wholes and de-bend the spokes....then take it to a bike shop.
can it be bone?

make a new tensioner, one that holds on both the lower and upper rear tubes of the frame.

also, the muffler has to be covered with eshaust wrap, the thing was glowing red last night.

I've seen this posted and the guy who I purchased my motor suggested this. I drilled threw the tube and the tensioner plates. Put a screw threw it with a lock nut on the other end. Now it can not twist into the spokes

That is until your chainstay breaks because you drilled a hole through it and it ends up in there by default.

That is until your chainstay breaks because you drilled a hole through it and it ends up in there by default.

If you think so but I do not. I have the chainstay that has the two brackets in the front and a large single piece in the back. I only drill through the back side and it is fairly thick

well im not really looking to alter the frame. making things trickier. fun!

put some classical music on...and relaxed, got the wheel out, get the mb sproket out..clean it a little bit, inspect the damage, 5 riped spokes, non broken, bent them back, then my friend "the hammer" helpped me bang the spoke holes back to size...now the red paint is a bit scratched....

now i need to get someone to true it..

are we enemys to road bikers..i sort of dont like theis perfectness. its all new and expensive.. i just came back from a shop, and their mechanic told me he didnt true wheels... he was stoked at my story, and said that probably my hammering was no good, because ones metal gives in to pressure it most likely wont come back....

i happily disagreed with him, and told him i intend to drink this bike till the last drop..my hammer is a great bike mechanic lol

Back