1st build/1st ride - carb ????

oldguy387

Local time
10:55 PM
Took my first build on its shake down ride. Didn't go far, just wanted to see how it ran. It ran fine except when the ride was over. Engine raced when clutch was pulled. Now, on the adjusting screw do I turn it out to allow the slide to go further into the chamber cutting off air or do I turn it in? Thanks Pic was taken during build.

Attachments

• 100_0290-1.jpg
    100_0290-1.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 171
Remove the air filter and look down the carburetor throat.
Is the choke partially open or fully open. Remember the position of the small lever that controls it.
Use a flashlight if necessary.
Twist the throtte back and forth.
Does the slide move all the way up and down or just stay put in one place.

There is a pin in the side of the carb and a slot on the side of the slide. they must be aligned for proper operation.
Also the carburetor is so cheaply made that even if it is aligned the slide is round, and the carburetor body may be egg shaped.

Slightly loosen the entire screw top of the carb to fix this LOL.
Or.
The following is slightly expensive if you are wrong. If you can tell where the bulge in the carb body is pinch it with a big pair of pliers or vicegrips. broken carb is about $30.00.LOL

The screw on the side of the carb is a joke use the cable end adjustment on top of the carb , to adjust the idle unless you have allready tightened the screw all the way in. If so loosen it .

Last edited:
sounds to me like your idle is set too high. turn the idle screw out to lower the idle, turn it in to raise the idle.

Thanks for the info - First off my choke was so loose it could be moved by the wind. I tightened that up so that now you need two hands to move it and it made a world of difference. That helped the idle allot. Now I am just fine tuning. It is fun to ride again. Thanks Dale

hiya 387, I like your simple method of the elbow for the carb to clear the frame. How are you clamping the elbow to the manifold using the hose clamp? manifold is pretty rigid.. whats goin on there?

Attachments

• ISS-0026.jpg
    ISS-0026.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 165
hiya 387, I like your simple method of the elbow for the carb to clear the frame. How are you clamping the elbow to the manifold using the hose clamp? manifold is pretty rigid.. whats goin on there?
This set up is not going to hold up you need way more clamping power

Beautiful looking bike. I had the same problem with my nt carb, I took it apart and put it back together. after that it worked perfect. I didn't know what i done, but whatever i did i worked magic. lol maybe it will work for you too.

I used hose clamps. This may be a temp fix as goodtime said, but for now it is holding. You have to tighten the clamps with a ratchet, not a screw driver. From the intake, I cut four slits in it where the elbow hooked up for better grip. We will see how this works. Right now I am riding and still working on fine tuning the carb. It seems to me that carbs are a real pain in the rear. Does anyone make a really GOOD carb?

with that set up, i'm wouldn't be surprised if you have an air leak.
an air leak would explain your high idle problem, and it will make the engine run REALLy lean, which will burn up the piston.

Back