1st build almost done except for a couple problems

Hi guys,
I'm having the same issue as you did in the night videos...not quite sure how to get the chain on, or remove links for that matter.

Can you please tell me (like I'm a little kid) how to do it?

Thanks,
Mark

hmm ok. I'll get a piece of excess chain and show you how i cut it.

Thanks - I took off the master link, and was able to easily "thread" the chain on...just need to see how to remove a few links now...

How many miles on your bike now? Any problems or things you would do differently now that you know?

thanks,
Mark

100k's on my bike now.

there are some things im yet to do and would do differntly, but it's late here (Sydney ) and im off to sleep :) Will post the vid and Tips tomorrow :)

Some people use chain breakers- I use a hammer, a small punch or nailset, and an old socket.

Determine how many links to remove- remember you need to have an inner link at the end to mate tothe mater link.

Place the chain on the ground- concrete floor better yet. locate the pin you need to remove to ge the right length- place that link with the pin centered on top of an old socket on the floor. The socket is just there so that when you are driving out the pin, it has somewhere to go. Anything with a hole for the pin will work. I have even used a vie with the jaw open just enough to allow a space for the pin to go. Place the punch or nailset on the pin and drive it out.

Leave the pin just barely in the outer link you are removing so if you need to put a link back on, you just need to line it up and drive it back in.

Thank you very much - I'll do it this afternoon.

BTW: Did you shorten yours enough so you do not need the tensioner, or should I just use it for when/if the chain stretches?

Thanks,
Mark

Some people run without the tensioner and I say if you can- do. When the chain stretches, you can still run without the tensioner by adjusting the chain length again, either with a full or half (offset) link. However, some frames require the tensioner, not just to adjust chain tension, but to make the chain clear parts of the frame- mine is one of those so I cannot run without a tensioner.

Back