1st Ride To Work Today

I drive west down rt 72 from Barrington Road to the Fox River bridge in Dundee at around 7:10 am on the weekdays. Any chance I will see you when you go for it?

And thanks for the forecast I can miss the news tonight, I like watching The Family Guy better anyway!

Well, it isn't going to happen tomorrow....they just changed the weather forecast and it looks like thunderstorms are going to happen right when I'd be leaving work for home.....

Warner

I drive west down rt 72 from Barrington Road to the Fox River bridge in Dundee at around 7:10 am on the weekdays. Any chance I will see you when you go for it?

And thanks for the forecast I can miss the news tonight, I like watching The Family Guy better anyway!

So you go AGAINST the rush-hour traffic flow, huh? Must be NICE! I have been thinking about taking 72 in, but right now I wouldn't even think about getting on there to head East until at least Bartlett Rd, as the construction starts from there heading West and basically eliminates the shoulder. There are a few routes I'm considering...and 72 is definitely one of them - it's probably the most direct route. It also travels through the heart of Hoffman (please bust me) Estates. So I'm not sure. I START at 7, so if you saw me at 7:10 it would mean I was VERY late...Hehehe. If you want to come over and check out my bike, etc...feel free. Just let me know and maybe we can take a cruise around Elgin and see if the local authorities like us as a group. Hehe.

Warner

I was going to take the 20 mile trek to work today. But on mile .5 my engine mount broke so I didn't get the chance. Luckily it happened near home and not on mile 15 or something. Oh well next week

I've used aluminum backpacking stove fuel bottles made by MSR to carry extra gas on my motorcycles. I've also carried cheap, quart sized alumimum canteens.

If you are looking to put gasoline in plastic containers, look at containers marked HDPE (high density polyethelene) which is what plastic gas cans are made of. Most shampoo bottles are made of HDPE. My wife buys quart sized shampoo and conditioner. I've used empty ones for my gas trimmer. Of course they are cheap (free!). The only problem with shampoo bottles is they use a hard plastic cap that can break if the bottle is dropped and lands on it's cap.

Polycarbonate (Lexan) Nalgene type water bottles are gasoline resistant as well, just make sure you mark it as gas so people won't try to drink from it. Also, once you put gasoline in it, you can never use it for water/beverages again. The nice thing about them is that the are cheap and virtually unbreakable.

I've used aluminum backpacking stove fuel bottles made by MSR to carry extra gas on my motorcycles. I've also carried cheap, quart sized alumimum canteens.

If you are looking to put gasoline in plastic containers, look at containers marked HDPE (high density polyethelene) which is what plastic gas cans are made of. Most shampoo bottles are made of HDPE. My wife buys quart sized shampoo and conditioner. I've used empty ones for my gas trimmer. Of course they are cheap (free!). The only problem with shampoo bottles is they use a hard plastic cap that can break if the bottle is dropped and lands on it's cap.

Polycarbonate (Lexan) Nalgene type water bottles are gasoline resistant as well, just make sure you mark it as gas so people won't try to drink from it. Also, once you put gasoline in it, you can never use it for water/beverages again. The nice thing about them is that the are cheap and virtually unbreakable.

Good info...thanks for posting! I already bought the MSR fuel bottles (which I like and feel safe carrying) but if I hadn't, I might take your "shampoo bottle" suggestion. I'd make sure to get one with a screw on cap as opposed to a flip cap, though.

Warner

One the subject of mirrors, I'd been looking for one that would fit on my "rams horns" on my MB 10 speed as a standard bar end one wouldn't work either. I found one of all places at Fred Meyers in the bike section. It is made by Bell Sports and is a convex mirror on a little bendy 3 or 4 inch shaft with a plastic clamp that goes around a tube. I put it on the left bar and it sticks straight out and works pretty well. Cheap too!

Here is the info:

Model: 82351
Manf#: 109433
UPC#: 035011003795
Manf: BELL SPORTS
Keyword: BIKE MIRROR SAFETY ROUND

Retail Price: $5.93

And a link:

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/bell-bicycle-mirror-shatter-resistant-flexible-p-69517.html

Last edited:
Hope that you all don't have to drive in the dark. I just got in from vacation last night -- went out for an early ride -- 4pm. Man oh man - my little bicycle light - was not all that great - rode down the mountain - 5 miles - with not much of a bicycle lane - cars passing - very close - that were doing around 50 to 60 mph. Once down the mountain - as they say - it's all good !!! I guess a mirror is a good thing to have - so as to see them coming ! I am sure that you are going to enjoy the ride ! Something about that little engine ! Happy Riding from - Mountainman

I'm going to take my leap this friday!!! 22 miles each way whittier to Downtown Los Angeles....I'm kind of scared to be honest but $100. a month parking permit and $65. to fill my car up a week leads me toward this...any tips????
Ref the Commuter Tips thread, gno323. It was your post that started me thinking that a 'tips' thread would be useful in the commuter forum...

Last edited:
Back