1st timer looking for bike engine information

Al Howard

Local time
6:52 AM
I know zip about bicycle engines but I do know that at 79 I am way too old to be traveling on my bicycle anymore, traveled over 35,000 miles on my bikes, so I am looking to the members here to provide me with some valuable answers regarding bike engines and I have alot of them.
First, what is considered the most dependable long life 4 stroke engine out there excluding Whizzer that I don't think you can buy.
Second, which is best chain drive or belt?
Third, not wanting to pull start the engine is there a friction method?
Fourth, is there larger than 1/2 gallon gas tanks available?
Fifth, can the engine be made quiet? One passed me other day and gave me an excedrin headache.
I thank everyone in advance for your contribution, I know I will get invaluable information from you. Al

Welcome to MBc. First off, I don't know about bump starting. I have one fiction drive, and it doesn't bump-start. I'd advise that you look into Golden Eagle, or Staton, Inc. If you have to avoid pull-start, I'd recomend electric start.

I know zip about bicycle engines but I do know that at 79 I am way too old to be traveling on my bicycle anymore, traveled over 35,000 miles on my bikes, so I am looking to the members here to provide me with some valuable answers regarding bike engines and I have alot of them.
First, what is considered the most dependable long life 4 stroke engine out there excluding Whizzer that I don't think you can buy.
Second, which is best chain drive or belt?
Third, not wanting to pull start the engine is there a friction method?
Fourth, is there larger than 1/2 gallon gas tanks available?
Fifth, can the engine be made quiet? One passed me other day and gave me an excedrin headache.
I thank everyone in advance for your contribution, I know I will get invaluable information from you. Al

Dont get an engine you will kill yourself !-you have to be way more alert because of the speed and have better balance --there is vibrations from an engine so you need a top notch bike with great brakes and pedaling ability is also important--Honda or Subaru-Robin are the best 4 strokes--there is more noise on the bike i always wear ear plugs even with my Subaru-electric may be better for you as its hard to go slower with gas because of the psychological effect of what the noise does for you - you at some point will want to go flat out !

Engine start

Thanks for the reply. Is friction start when you drop in gear while peddeling? That is what I am looking for and as far as electric starting I didn't know that existed. Not only have I got old but lazy too. Thanks again

Balance and safety

My balance is fine, I ride my bike an average of thirty miles a day and on the side I just sold my Honda Goldwing 1500 as it was just too heavy. A bike I can handle I don't care what kind of engine is on it. I am looking for the best one plain and simple

It's hard to say that one particular engine/drivetrain is THE best. You might look up Golden Eagle Bike Engines (GEBE) out of Lansing, MI. They have a reputation for a fine set-up.

I don't know of any electric start bike engines, either. I think that those who suggested this probably meant an all electric bike. this might be a good choice for you, especially if engine noise is irritating.

I'm a former gasoline MB'er who's gone electric. Noise was one of the reasons. I'm happy with the choice.

My overall preference & suggestion is a Subaru/Robin with friction rear drive. They pull start very easily .

Last edited:
Back